1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:50 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:117015658
Lunk wrote:
Neezon wrote:
I would heavily suggest reading further into this issue before voicing strong opinions. Upon further research, taking me literally 5-10 minutes, I found that the reasons for the detainment of these two individuals was due to denial of entry into the country. Thus, they are detained and refused entry into England until they can/will be sent back to the locations from which they departed.

The reasons for their denial of entry, if people are interested, is due to suspicion of travelling to the country to push extremist views and potentially incite hatred (which could turn violent). In large parts of Europe, there are laws to hinder harmful or violent racial/cultural discrimination. Frankly my sources are in Norwegian so they will be pointless to link you, but I can post the meaningful quotes they gathered (in English) from their British sources.

"On Friday night, Martin Sellner, the Co-Leader of Generation Identity Austria, was refused entry to the UK at Luton Airport. After landing at approximately 13:00, he was detained by Border Police and separated from US Vlogger, Brittany Pettibone. He was subsequently informed that he was being denied entry to the UK and that he would be detained until Sunday evening when he would be allowed to return home."

So in other words, they are not being "jailed" or "imprisoned" for their wish to speak about an issue, but are rather being denied entry into the country for this specific purpose only. From what I could also quickly gather, Martin Sellner specifically is strongly anti-islam, having been involved in neo-nazism in his earlier life, as well as now being a prominent figure in nationalist, so-called "anti-sharia" groups. And while I don't disagree with criticism of religions or cultures, inciting hatred for them is something entirely different.

Whether or not their speeches legitimately would incite hatred and/or violence however is something I am uncertain of, as none of the websites I have found would give any valuable level of context as to the specifics of these supposedly harmful speeches. Please keep in mind, the 2 articles linked by Synthic above are both far-right and thus prone to heavy bias. Both articles fail to mention the fact the primary action here was denial of entry, making this issue out to be far worse than it really is. And to be as transparent as I can, the Norwegian sources I used were in fact also right-leaning, but simply provided more valuable information.

i dont think your giving the other guys in this post enough credit. syntic knows they were detained because they were refused entry, (although there are many ppl in the uk (citizens) that have been arrested for "hate speech") thats not what they have a problem with. the problem is the government deciding what political "extremists" and how it does not seem to be objective or non-biased. There has been no quotes of threats or reason to believe they would actually incite violence just being members of different political groups. i was actually looking for something that could be considered a threat but could'it find any so if u have any quotes or something please link them my way. The far left seems to be calling everything right of them (even the center left) nazi's especially if they are not fond of mass immigration or Islam as a political force.

syntic, kharn and those guys feel free speech plays an important role in a healthy country and im definitely with them on that one. giving the government the power to say which ideas/groups/words are okay is super dangerous because any group with opposing views to the current government can be unfairly persecuted or called an extremist whether or not they have actually done anything bad. i think letting the idea of free speech die is how you force people into choosing to joining extremist groups like communists, fascists, or other radical groups so they feel they will have someone who actually cares about the group they belong to in charge.

I get what you mean yeah, and there definitely could be an unhealthy bias in the system, though that is not what I am trying to argue. My point is that we don't really have even nearly enough specifics to lean either way (in my opinion at least). What I tried to illustrate is how biased, agenda-driven websites can quickly make wrong conclusions, or simply omit important information, and so it is better not to form a strong opinion until more/better information is available. I can't say the denial of entry was warranted, nor can I say it wasn't warranted. So while there certainly may be an issue regarding bias of opinions in the UK, I simply feel this example or, at the very least, the provided articles regarding the situation are far too inadequate in meaningfully illustrating such a problem. Simply due, as stated, to a lack of context/specific information.

Social 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:51 pm 
Community Leader
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:84775876
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
Quote:
Lauren Southern has revealed, that after speaking with Brittany Pettibone on the phone, the police have detained the couple separately and for the ‘crime’ of having right-wing opinions as well as wanting to interview Tommy Robinson and holding their speech.

>> voiceofeurope.com

HAHAHAHA I CANT EVEN, these memes dude.
Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.
I really like meowers but can't own any for the time being. Image

Software Developer with a fondness for Python & UE4.
🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:52 pm 
EgN Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:6233124
Doldol wrote:
Quote:
Lauren Southern has revealed, that after speaking with Brittany Pettibone on the phone, the police have detained the couple separately and for the ‘crime’ of having right-wing opinions as well as wanting to interview Tommy Robinson and holding their speech.

Where was that quote from? And what makes it a meme?

I'm guessing that site has something to do with it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:54 pm 
Community Leader
Legend
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
Kharn wrote:
Doldol wrote:
Quote:

Shows how much research you do Kharn.
Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.

🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:59 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:2416971
This Weiner measuring contest needs to end...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:11 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21855300
Doldol wrote:
Kharn wrote:
Doldol wrote:
Quote:

Shows how much research you do Kharn.

It’s a meme because Lauren Southern and Tommy Robinson are despised by left-wing media.
Snapchat: Rozavelt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:30 pm 
EgN Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:6233124
Uchies wrote:
It’s a meme because Lauren Southern and Tommy Robinson are despised by left-wing media.

Ah, hard to believe that any "Right-wing" media/reporters even exist over there, as Lunk put it in regards to the far/-left wing in the EU and UK have had a firm grip on all things MSM for a long time now, longer than any of us have been alive.

I'll have to take a glance at that site again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:41 pm 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:150625838
SpazzO wrote:
To all the the ladies, peace, and humptiness.

ask me about film, novels, fashion, cinematography, and/or music & you'll have my ear for hours

Doldol 🐾: I'm a Hyper Nova
Doldol 🐾: Kharn can be a
Doldol 🐾: Super Massive Black Hole
EgN-S| Needy: lmao
Doldol 🐾: xD
EgN-S| Needy: dude idk why, but i thought you were going to say super massive black cocc
Doldol 🐾: You can be a
Doldol 🐾: LOL
Doldol 🐾: nono thatd then be micro astroid
Doldol 🐾: or so ive heard
EgN-S| Needy: Like he's just one big degenerate penus
Doldol 🐾: ROFL
Doldol 🐾: IK
Doldol 🐾: xd

her favourite colour was yellow

Smiley: yes, I have a job now so I can be the breadwinner of the household and you can just relax to Rex all day :)

life goals
[  ] become legend before mootinie
[  ] get 10,000 post before mutiny
[  ] marry smiley

Tricky: i don't think any of the staff+ are here to slap their e-penis on you

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:59 pm 
Community Leader
Legend
Needy wrote:
SpazzO wrote:

That's not what it is to me at all whatsoever. Whatever, you guys go right on ahead, my mistake is actually replying to this ignorance/trolls.

🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:05 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21855300
Kharn wrote:
Uchies wrote:

Ah, hard to believe that any "Right-wing" media/reporters even exist over there, as Lunk put it in regards to the far/-left wing in the EU and UK have had a firm grip on all things MSM for a long time now, longer than any of us have been alive.

I'll have to take a glance at that site again.

It's funny because anything slightly right-of-center is considered "extremist" by the UK media. Lauren and Tommy are both libertarian, but due to their stance on mass immigration, are portrayed by the media to be "hate-mongering", "extremist", and "alt-right".
Snapchat: Rozavelt

New Topic Post Reply  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8
 >> Next