Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:06 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:117015658
Lunk wrote:
coming from a Muslim family i can honestly say its not wrong to single out specific ideologies. It IS wrong to do it by race/gender/sexual orientation or other things you cannot change about yourself, but when it comes to political views and culture i think it very necessary. Islam is not just a belief of where we all came from it describes a political system and view as well. its a lot more political than the Jewish or christian faiths and just like the old testament it has a LOT of things that go against western slandereds (i.e. equality, how justice should be dealt, punishments for smoking, drinking, ect ect). When immigration is slow and we take the most highly educated of different countries they adapt to western culture just fine. A good example is the Muslims in Canada who are not extremist or hostile to our values at all (99.9.% at least) but if you go to kenya (where half my family is from and you talk to the Muslims over there its crazy. so when you take a huge number of people with a very different culture and are not well educated into your country they will not adapt to western values because they can just live with other people who agree with them and have the numbers to vote to change laws to suit them better instead of western values.

And if you do not think western values are important then you throw away things that took hundreds of years to establish such as human right, equality, legal sex age, due process, fair trials, the idea of racism being bad, LGBT rights, equal pay and hiring practices, im sure you get the idea.

Oh I think you've got a lot of good points. I don't disagree with criticizing certain religions or cultures either, as long as it does not turn unnecessarily violent and hateful. And I do agree, Islam certainly does have a lot of values that clash heavily with western ones, and preserving the values and culture we have definitely is important. This is why personally, I have always been massively in favour of a strong system that focuses on cultural integration regarding immigration.

To be fair though, that's not really what the initial discussion was about, nor is it contrary to what I was originally arguing. I simply felt the initial sources provided were insufficient in reaching a fair conclusion, and thus felt it was weird how quickly several people were jumping to conclusions. What I have noticed largely from americans as a whole, seems to be some sort of "battle" between the two political parties, and illogical party loyalty. It is important to recognise blatant biases and agenda-driven content, but taking it far enough to where it's about "proving the other side wrong" (which is my interpretation of a lot of these discussions) is unhealthy for a civilized society.

Such as when the response I get on a reasonably un-biased comment is "MuH fAr RiGhT nEwS sOuRcEs!1 you people get so old." that is, quite frankly, ridicolous and stupid. This perfectly shows the mentality of "us vs those other guys" which is just a really poor way to debate anything. Not only had I not clarified any political or ideological affiliation from my side (as I tend not to brand myself by terms such as conservative, far-right, liberal, left-leaning, etc.) but my criticism wasn't even towards a set of opinions or political ideology. When legitimate criticism of a blatantly agenda-driven website is met with that, reasonable discussion is nigh impossible.

Regardless of the opinions presented within, I simply dislike media that attempts to force an opinion on someone or is clearly driven by a specific agenda. This is why I dislike Fox News, and it is also why I dislike CNN (as examples of two politically opposing media outlets that are blatantly agenda-driven).

Social 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:15 am 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:29867757
The Gateway Pundit is a blog that has been called out multiple times for spreading propaganda and conspiracy theories.

This fountain of propaganda ranges topics such as:

Hillary Clinton's health: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... y-pundit-/
https://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/22/poli ... index.html

Alleged Voter Fraud in Florida: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... y-pundit-/
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/01/24/the ... story.html

Smearing other media organizations: https://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media ... ter-235942

The Voice of Europe is a blog that has also been called out multiple times for spreading propaganda and conspiracy theories.

This fountain of propaganda and baseless conspiracy theories (whose owners wish to remain anonymous, as all paragons of honest media display) has tried to spread falsehoods such as:

Germany brainwashing their populace to become more accepting of Muslims: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/germa ... ra-muslim/

The ACTUAL law that people are being prosecuted under is as follows:

§127 of the Communication Act of 2003
A person is guilty of an offence if, for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, he—

(a)sends by means of a public electronic communications network, a message that he knows to be false,

(b)causes such a message to be sent; or

(c)persistently makes use of a public electronic communications network.

This means that any prosecutor must prove beyond reasonable doubt that the information someone has sent was 1. known to be false and 2. sent persistently and deliberately enough that it caused annoyance, inconvenience, or anxiety. This is INCREDIBLY hard to prove in court, but goes to show just how many easily-debunkable falsehoods are being spread by people on the internet. This is what people are getting arrested for, this is what people from hate groups are being arrested and denied entry for.

As a sidenote, since apparently nothing will be done by Staff+ about political threads, can we make a new rule for banning blatant propaganda? Especially from a "member" who hasn't played on our servers or worn clan tags for months and is literally only here to spread far-right propaganda and radicalize EgN (and practice Japanese in the chatbox, apparently).
"all tees all tees" -everyone

SYSTEMS FUNCTIONAL. NAVCOM LOCKED. ANIME SPOTTED. GOLIATH ONLINE.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:17 pm 
Staff
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:43792252
Lunk wrote:
Kharn wrote:
This is what happen's when you throw liberty and right's away for "Safe spaces" and "Respect my feelings!".

and you have no idea how many ppl are banned these days for using "disrespectful" words in your server. like ya boi JP said, go clean your room first Mr. Kharn

We're a gaming server, not a government. You get banned in-game you don't get banned IRL
-No Pity For A Coward-
http://cdn.funnyisms.com/ecc914b3-1ce2-4aa7-8b36-992cf563121f.jpg
"im srry, i din mean it massta, lil simple is gone be a good boy massta" -Mr. Simplistic
"Your taste in music is A2+ and I like how you moto." -Needy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:27 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:36657842
Birthstone wrote:
The Gateway Pundit is a blog that has been called out multiple times for spreading propaganda and conspiracy theories.

This fountain of propaganda ranges topics such as:

Hillary Clinton's health: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... y-pundit-/
https://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/22/poli ... index.html

Alleged Voter Fraud in Florida: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... y-pundit-/
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/01/24/the ... story.html

Smearing other media organizations: https://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media ... ter-235942

The Voice of Europe is a blog that has also been called out multiple times for spreading propaganda and conspiracy theories.

This fountain of propaganda and baseless conspiracy theories (whose owners wish to remain anonymous, as all paragons of honest media display) has tried to spread falsehoods such as:

Germany brainwashing their populace to become more accepting of Muslims: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/germa ... ra-muslim/

The ACTUAL law that people are being prosecuted under is as follows:

§127 of the Communication Act of 2003
A person is guilty of an offence if, for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, he—

(a)sends by means of a public electronic communications network, a message that he knows to be false,

(b)causes such a message to be sent; or

(c)persistently makes use of a public electronic communications network.

This means that any prosecutor must prove beyond reasonable doubt that the information someone has sent was 1. known to be false and 2. sent persistently and deliberately enough that it caused annoyance, inconvenience, or anxiety. This is INCREDIBLY hard to prove in court, but goes to show just how many easily-debunkable falsehoods are being spread by people on the internet. This is what people are getting arrested for, this is what people from hate groups are being arrested and denied entry for.

As a sidenote, since apparently nothing will be done by Staff+ about political threads, can we make a new rule for banning blatant propaganda? Especially from a "member" who hasn't played on our servers or worn clan tags for months and is literally only here to spread far-right propaganda and radicalize EgN (and practice Japanese in the chatbox, apparently).

"everything i dont like is propaganda"

well, you tried

VVV muh trigger/sort of NSFW, not really, warning VVV

Spoiler: Show
ImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:46 am 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:150625838
Birthstone wrote:

By the way, threads related to politics are allowed. No rules against it. Just no hatred against them. We're more than likely not going to make a rule that disallows propaganda. Members are allowed to address information designed to sway the opinions of people even if it may or may not be fabricated, otherwise, be bias against some sort of political belief. A bit unrealistic too. Also, not sure what the implication of "and practice Japanese in the chatbox" has anything to do with this either.
To all the the ladies, peace, and humptiness.

ask me about film, novels, fashion, cinematography, and/or music & you'll have my ear for hours

Doldol 🐾: I'm a Hyper Nova
Doldol 🐾: Kharn can be a
Doldol 🐾: Super Massive Black Hole
EgN-S| Needy: lmao
Doldol 🐾: xD
EgN-S| Needy: dude idk why, but i thought you were going to say super massive black cocc
Doldol 🐾: You can be a
Doldol 🐾: LOL
Doldol 🐾: nono thatd then be micro astroid
Doldol 🐾: or so ive heard
EgN-S| Needy: Like he's just one big degenerate penus
Doldol 🐾: ROFL
Doldol 🐾: IK
Doldol 🐾: xd

her favourite colour was yellow

Smiley: yes, I have a job now so I can be the breadwinner of the household and you can just relax to Rex all day :)

life goals
[  ] become legend before mootinie
[  ] get 10,000 post before mutiny
[  ] marry smiley

Tricky: i don't think any of the staff+ are here to slap their e-penis on you

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:51 am 
EgN Member
Veteran
Needy wrote:
Birthstone wrote:

By the way, threads related to politics are allowed. No rules against it. Just no hatred against them. We're more than likely not going to make a rule that disallows propaganda. Members are allowed to address information designed to sway the opinions of people even if it may or may not be fabricated, otherwise, be bias against some sort of political belief. A bit unrealistic too. Also, not sure what the implication of "and practice Japanese in the chatbox" has anything to do with this either.

Completely ignoring the cartoon depictions of child-rape, I see. Classy Staff+, very classy. It's unfortunate how transparent where your bread is buttered is.

Last edited by Birthstone on Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:55 am 
EgN Member
Veteran
Doldol wrote:
Needy wrote:
Birthstone wrote:

I'm sure Synthic is trolling at this point anywai

Who's Synthic? All I see is some guy named "king of memes", going by his steam tag. And no, not trolling, genuinely spreading far-right propaganda. Of course, conspiracy theorists generally tend to be people who are desperate to have some sort of superior knowledge that the general populace doesn't have, and there certainly is an attention-seeking aspect to this, but no, it's just general propaganda-spreading.

It's obviously futile to try and prevent this from happening though, even though trolling and inciting flame-wars is against forum rules. Shame.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:00 am 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:150625838
Birthstone wrote:
Needy wrote:
Birthstone wrote:

Completely ignoring the cartoon depictions of child-rape, I see. Classy Staff+, very classy. It's unfortunate how transparent where your bread is buttered is.

No, not ignoring. May wanna check the spoiler again.
To all the the ladies, peace, and humptiness.

ask me about film, novels, fashion, cinematography, and/or music & you'll have my ear for hours

Doldol 🐾: I'm a Hyper Nova
Doldol 🐾: Kharn can be a
Doldol 🐾: Super Massive Black Hole
EgN-S| Needy: lmao
Doldol 🐾: xD
EgN-S| Needy: dude idk why, but i thought you were going to say super massive black cocc
Doldol 🐾: You can be a
Doldol 🐾: LOL
Doldol 🐾: nono thatd then be micro astroid
Doldol 🐾: or so ive heard
EgN-S| Needy: Like he's just one big degenerate penus
Doldol 🐾: ROFL
Doldol 🐾: IK
Doldol 🐾: xd

her favourite colour was yellow

Smiley: yes, I have a job now so I can be the breadwinner of the household and you can just relax to Rex all day :)

life goals
[  ] become legend before mootinie
[  ] get 10,000 post before mutiny
[  ] marry smiley

Tricky: i don't think any of the staff+ are here to slap their e-penis on you

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:04 am 
Community Leader
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:84775876
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
Birthstone wrote:
Doldol wrote:
Needy wrote:
Birthstone wrote:

Who's Synthic? All I see is some guy named "king of memes", going by his steam tag. And no, not trolling, genuinely spreading far-right propaganda. Of course, conspiracy theorists generally tend to be people who are desperate to have some sort of superior knowledge that the general populace doesn't have, and there certainly is an attention-seeking aspect to this, but no, it's just general propaganda-spreading.

It's obviously futile to try and prevent this from happening though, even though trolling and inciting flame-wars is against forum rules. Shame.

Whoops I deleted my post because it's just speculation. Idk everyone can express their opinion I guess is what society generally goes by, personally I'd like it to go by this quote
Quote:
Harlan Ellison — 'You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.'

Sometimes though for plenty of reasons people get into a more extremist opinion/view, I guess that happens, and as long as people don't act on it that is viewed as ok, because if you don't you endanger freedom of speech.

Idk though, "king of memes" and not trolling?
Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.
I really like meowers but can't own any for the time being. Image

Software Developer with a fondness for Python & UE4.
🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:12 am 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:45881423
Birthstone wrote:
Doldol wrote:
Needy wrote:
Birthstone wrote:

Yeaa... I'd rather not take anyone elses word for whats "fakes news" (not you or the government) and have the option to look at all sides before coming to my own conclusion. Yes i think some of the "far right" points are exaggerated but they do still have some valid points. Just like the far left (that appears to be you Birthstone) is not wrong on everything simply because it comes from the "far left". It's impossible to get 100% unbiased news but that doesn't mean we should reject it just because we have a different bias. Just try acting like a responsible human being and consider all information while addressing what is fact vs. Opinion and learn to separate the two.

Dismissing someone just based on what political side you think they belong too is just as stupid and ignorant as believing someone with no evidence just because you agree with them.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 >> Next