Previous << 
1, 2, 3
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Guns
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:52 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22218476
Kharn wrote:
some areas of the US do not have police protection, meaning that if you were attacked by people/animals you would be completely on your own to defend yourself.

Nowhere in the U.S. except in a police station, in a prison, or in a courthouse do you have police protection, unless they happen to be standing right next to you, in which case they are still not obligated to do anything.

Police are responders, not guards or defenders. They show up after you've attempted to defend yourself, or after you failed to do so.

Social 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:02 pm 
EgN Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:230517
Y S0 S3R10US wrote:
Well in Australia we were all allowed to bear arms, but in 1996 there was a mass shooting which killed 35 people. Right after that the Australian Government put out gun laws, prohibiting guns unless one has a gun license, and to have that you have to go through numerous background checks and such. The Australian Government then allowed everyone to bring in their guns without any consequences. Well over 1 million guns were brought in. The Australian Government still does this operation roughly every 5 years. There has not been a mass shooting since, (there was a vehicular mass killing though.) A similar thing happened to the UK in 1994 I believe, hasn't been a mass shooting there since either. Now I understand that the right to bear arms is in the constitution (I'm pretty sure that's it) but something needs to be done.

Anyway that's my two cents worth.

As an Australian gun owning person who has lived in the US, let me add my 2c.

- You can't compare the US with Australia. In the US gun ownership is a constitutional right (as you pointed out). But even more than that, gun ownership is a massive part of the fundamental culture in many US sates. Australian style gun laws just ain't gonna happen... ever. Added to that, the the US it >10x the population of Australia AND at least ~100x the number of guns make any sort of gun buy back impractal.

- Since gun-reduction/control isn't going work, we need to focus on other things that we can change: Increase security at schools. In many states in the US metal detectors/x-ray machines are common. I think we need start rolling this other across the county. Increase understanding/treatment mental health.

- In this case, the FBI knew about the shooter weeks before it happened... so there are at least some measures in place. They obviously were not acted upon - the reasons for this need to be understood and changed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:25 pm 
EgN Member
Elder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:47477194
Jimmah wrote:
Y S0 S3R10US wrote:
Well in Australia we were all allowed to bear arms, but in 1996 there was a mass shooting which killed 35 people. Right after that the Australian Government put out gun laws, prohibiting guns unless one has a gun license, and to have that you have to go through numerous background checks and such. The Australian Government then allowed everyone to bring in their guns without any consequences. Well over 1 million guns were brought in. The Australian Government still does this operation roughly every 5 years. There has not been a mass shooting since, (there was a vehicular mass killing though.) A similar thing happened to the UK in 1994 I believe, hasn't been a mass shooting there since either. Now I understand that the right to bear arms is in the constitution (I'm pretty sure that's it) but something needs to be done.

Anyway that's my two cents worth.

As an Australian gun owning person who has lived in the US, let me add my 2c.

- You can't compare the US with Australia. In the US gun ownership is a constitutional right (as you pointed out). But even more than that, gun ownership is a massive part of the fundamental culture in many US sates. Australian style gun laws just ain't gonna happen... ever. Added to that, the the US it >10x the population of Australia AND at least ~100x the number of guns make any sort of gun buy back impractal.

- Since gun-reduction/control isn't going work, we need to focus on other things that we can change: Increase security at schools. In many states in the US metal detectors/x-ray machines are common. I think we need start rolling this other across the county. Increase understanding/treatment mental health.

- In this case, the FBI knew about the shooter weeks before it happened... so there are at least some measures in place. They obviously were not acted upon - the reasons for this need to be understood and changed.

Yeah I understand Jimmah, but I still believe that Gun laws will make all the difference. Something, Somewhere needs to change.
<3 peace be with y'all EgN beauties and remember Why So Serious about life? Live while you can. :)
Spoiler: Show

"If someone wants to fist me..." - Mr.GoldGames
"Calm Down Snapchat" - Everyone
Debuted Roast King!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:01 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:36657842
Excerpt from a paper I'm working on:

The Founding Fathers established this country on the idea that the Constitution would act as the highest law of the land, and that it was the duty of the citizens to ensure that the Constitution is always held to that level. The Second Amendment was placed in the Bill of Rights initially to ensure that all citizens had not only the right to bear arms, but to establish and uphold militias. The purpose of this is so that the citizens would be able to form a potential resistance against a tyrannical uprising in their government that threatens the Constitution, and this still applies today. This most common counter to this idea is that it is futile to resist the government today, as their military power far surpasses simple, rifle-wielding militias. However this argument is completely pointless, as it neglects the actual reason a tyrannical dictator would want to come to overthrow the Constitution in the first place. To understand the motives of a totalitarian regime, one would simply have to look at history. A perfect example of this would be Adolf Hitler. Regarded as one of the most power-hungry dictators of the all time, Hitler wanted nothing more than to expand his Reich through military power. In order to conquer regions, a civilization would need top level military power, as well as defense and infrastructure to protect against attacks. These conditions can only be met in a booming economy, or at least a stable one, with a cooperative populace to support the domination movement. This brings me to the premise of my argument, that a totalitarian government would never even think of usings its most powerful weapons to quell a resistance. For example, imagine that the U.S. government attempts to completely disarm all of its citizens. Obviously, many citizens would refuse to give up their guns, and a serious civil conflict would arise nationwide, potentially evolving into a civil war. The only way for the government to forcefully confiscate all arms would be to invade every home in order to take them, violating several amendments in the process. The citizens would most likely join forces through local militias so that they would be able to protect their rights. The common counter argument mentioned before applies here, as people will say that fighting against the government would be pointless if it would just involve the militias being blown to shreds by a drone strike. This argument is completely pointless, as the true purpose of a tyrannical government is not to simply kill its citizens, which they would have to do in America’s case. If a government were to use their highest power military weapons on the militias, they would be destroying their own populace, economy, and infrastructure in the process. This will then render the country nearly fallen, and it will become nearly powerless compared to other world powers. This is the polar opposite of what a totalitarian regime strives for.
ImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:23 am 
EgN Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:6233124
Synthic wrote:
Excerpt from a paper I'm working on:

The Founding Fathers established this country on the idea that the Constitution would act as the highest law of the land, and that it was the duty of the citizens to ensure that the Constitution is always held to that level. The Second Amendment was placed in the Bill of Rights initially to ensure that all citizens had not only the right to bear arms, but to establish and uphold militias. The purpose of this is so that the citizens would be able to form a potential resistance against a tyrannical uprising in their government that threatens the Constitution, and this still applies today. This most common counter to this idea is that it is futile to resist the government today, as their military power far surpasses simple, rifle-wielding militias. However this argument is completely pointless, as it neglects the actual reason a tyrannical dictator would want to come to overthrow the Constitution in the first place. To understand the motives of a totalitarian regime, one would simply have to look at history. A perfect example of this would be Adolf Hitler. Regarded as one of the most power-hungry dictators of the all time, Hitler wanted nothing more than to expand his Reich through military power. In order to conquer regions, a civilization would need top level military power, as well as defense and infrastructure to protect against attacks. These conditions can only be met in a booming economy, or at least a stable one, with a cooperative populace to support the domination movement. This brings me to the premise of my argument, that a totalitarian government would never even think of usings its most powerful weapons to quell a resistance. For example, imagine that the U.S. government attempts to completely disarm all of its citizens. Obviously, many citizens would refuse to give up their guns, and a serious civil conflict would arise nationwide, potentially evolving into a civil war. The only way for the government to forcefully confiscate all arms would be to invade every home in order to take them, violating several amendments in the process. The citizens would most likely join forces through local militias so that they would be able to protect their rights. The common counter argument mentioned before applies here, as people will say that fighting against the government would be pointless if it would just involve the militias being blown to shreds by a drone strike. This argument is completely pointless, as the true purpose of a tyrannical government is not to simply kill its citizens, which they would have to do in America’s case. If a government were to use their highest power military weapons on the militias, they would be destroying their own populace, economy, and infrastructure in the process. This will then render the country nearly fallen, and it will become nearly powerless compared to other world powers. This is the polar opposite of what a totalitarian regime strives for.

I think you Copy+pasted twice, might want to check your side though to be sure you didn't repeat that over and over.

And something to add to "The military would wreck whatever resistance with drone strikes..." doesn't take into account how many Ex-Military Veterans there are in the US. And considering we've had troops going overseas for combat in Iraq/Afgan conflict you'd also have combat-hardened Vet's who will have weapons and training to offer whatever resistance there is, even disabled vets could train regular civvies to shoot and simple squad-tactics. It also assumes every single member of the military would be loyal to the tyrant/dictator, which obviously wouldn't happen and I'd say 1/3 conservatively would defect, and of that 1/3 I bet 1/2 would remain silent and enact sabotage upon anything they could. Then you have the fact that while the cities would be easily controlled the rural areas are gonna be tough as fuck, drones are great for hunter-kill missions...they are shit at enforcement of a curfew, shit at raiding a house that might be involved in the resistance, same with tanks and jets. And if they did use any of those tools they would only ferment more hostility and inspire more rebel's to take up arms, which it wouldn't take long before even your most loyal followers begin to lose family members to bombings and killings.

The last census listed US population at 323 Million and if even a 1/8th of that rebelled it would be the end of whatever regime was in power, you could even say if 1/16th of that population rebelled it would be high-level ISIS level shit everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:12 am 
Community Leader
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:84775876
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
Uchies wrote:
damn, totally agree with Kharn on this one... just pass a mental health screenings for gun purchases law, and stop prescribing people these anti-depressants that make people go nuts.

btw im a classical liberal / libertarian

HAHAHAHA ALEX JONES AHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kharn wrote:

This graph is misleading

http://www.vpc.org/regulating-the-gun-industry/gun-deaths-compared-to-motor-vehicle-deaths/ wrote:
Nine out of 10 American households have access to a motor vehicle while a little less than a third of American households contain a gun.

Interesting reads: https://www.investors.com/politics/comm ... -straight/, https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/upsh ... world.html

Which means that more people own cars, so there are more cars in a +-3 cars for every gun ratio, so car deaths should be divided by +-3 to have a correct correlation.

On top of that you have vehicles for efficient transportation. These thing actually make you a lot of money and are beneficial to everyday life.
You cannot compare the 2 as you have, a car is an essential tool of everyday life for the average citizen, your country would be much less prosperous without citizens having easy access to it.
A gun is meant to kill people, owning one as a regular citizen does not bring prosperity to you or society.
Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.
I really like meowers but can't own any for the time being. Image

Software Developer with a fondness for Python & UE4.
🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:32 am 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:45881423
Doldol wrote:
Uchies wrote:
damn, totally agree with Kharn on this one... just pass a mental health screenings for gun purchases law, and stop prescribing people these anti-depressants that make people go nuts.

Kharn wrote:

This graph is misleading

http://www.vpc.org/regulating-the-gun-industry/gun-deaths-compared-to-motor-vehicle-deaths/ wrote:
Nine out of 10 American households have access to a motor vehicle while a little less than a third of American households contain a gun.

Interesting reads: https://www.investors.com/politics/comm ... -straight/, https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/upsh ... world.html

Which means that more people own cars, so there are more cars in a +-3 cars for every gun ratio, so car deaths should be divided by +-3 to have a correct correlation.

On top of that you have vehicles for efficient transportation. These thing actually make you a lot of money and are beneficial to everyday life.
You cannot compare the 2 as you have, a car is an essential tool of everyday life for the average citizen, your country would be much less prosperous without citizens having easy access to it.

A gun is meant to kill people, owning one as a regular citizen does not bring prosperity to you or society.

^basically the rest of the worlds argument to america lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:04 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:117015658
Doldol wrote:
Uchies wrote:

Kharn wrote:

This graph is misleading

this is essentially what I was arguing, though with some better sources to back it up. The major difference here, as Doldol points out and as I said earlier, is that while a vehicle is a deadly weapon in the wrong hand, cars are still transportation tools by design and as its foremost purpose. Guns however are weapons by design and as its main purpose. Therein lies the difference. The vehicle accidents leading to death referred to in Kharn's graph are for the most part accidents. Comparatively while accidents with firearms certainly do happen (probably fairly frequently as well), the deaths as a result of firearm usage are likely to be far more malicious in intent than those resulting from vehicle usage.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:55 am 
Community Leader
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:84775876
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
Neezon wrote:
Spoiler: Show

this is essentially what I was arguing, though with some better sources to back it up. The major difference here, as Doldol points out and as I said earlier, is that while a vehicle is a deadly weapon in the wrong hand, cars are still transportation tools by design and as its foremost purpose. Guns however are weapons by design and as its main purpose. Therein lies the difference. The vehicle accidents leading to death referred to in Kharn's graph are for the most part accidents. Comparatively while accidents with firearms certainly do happen (probably fairly frequently as well), the deaths as a result of firearm usage are likely to be far more malicious in intent than those resulting from vehicle usage.

I read this while I was searching for articles about all of this, thought I'd mention it.

In 2013, 99.4% of car deaths were accidental in nature. In sharp contrast, only 1.8% of gun deaths were accidental. (For USA) Yep. (This does not include legal non-accidental cases, which must be higher for guns than cars.)
https://www.investors.com/politics/comm ... -straight/
Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.
I really like meowers but can't own any for the time being. Image

Software Developer with a fondness for Python & UE4.
🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3