1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:36 pm 
Staff
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:43792252
koolaid wrote:
Clearly you didn't look up utilitarianism and/or have not gotten to the topic yet in your supposed "course". Done in this thread, later.

Ah yes, instead of refuting anything said just leave instead. Well, I'm convinced.

p.s. this is just a question he asked... never claimed he's taking a course in anything. we were actually discussing something similar in TS3 which I'm guessing is what brought up this thread
-No Pity For A Coward-
http://cdn.funnyisms.com/ecc914b3-1ce2-4aa7-8b36-992cf563121f.jpg
"im srry, i din mean it massta, lil simple is gone be a good boy massta" -Mr. Simplistic
"Your taste in music is A2+ and I like how you moto." -Needy

Social 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:08 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22218476
I instructed him to look up utilitarianism to understand the topic, and he didn't obviously, based on his response. I cannot discuss further until he decides to educate himself. I even linked credible literature backing it up. That's not "refusing to refute" that's me not wanting to waste my time with someone who just wants to argue, who doesn't even understand the topic, and refuses to educate themselves on the matter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:24 pm 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:45881423
koolaid wrote:
I instructed him to look up utilitarianism to understand the topic, and he didn't obviously, based on his response. I cannot discuss further until he decides to educate himself. I even linked credible literature backing it up. That's not "refusing to refute" that's me not wanting to waste my time with someone who just wants to argue, who doesn't even understand the topic, and refuses to educate themselves on the matter.

ahh yes, instead of explaining what it is and why you find it relevant, just resort to "educate yourself" smoooth as butter baby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:36 pm 
EgN Member
Mr. Simplistic wrote:
ahh yes, instead of explaining what it is and why you find it relevant, just resort to "educate yourself" smoooth as butter baby

Hard to have a discussion on something when one party has a lack of understanding of the very BASIS of the concept they brought up. A simple google search is all it takes to be brought up to speed, it's ABSURD to expect me to type all that shit out.

It's like asking about a calculus topic and the person asking doesn't what what a fucking integral is, and then everyone expecting you to teach them CALCULUS. Fuck. That.

He asked if you can make a valid case of the existence of objective morality. I provided a WELL KNOWN and WELL SUPPORTED case taught by professors on the topic. If you don't care to look it up then that's not my fucking problem.

Another analogy is

"Make a case that 4+4=9"

It's 8, because addition.

"EXPLAIN ADDITION"

No.

"THEN IT'S 9 BECAUSE YOU WON'T EVEN MAKE AN ARGUMENT BLSKMNFAKJ"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:44 pm 
Staff
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:43792252
koolaid wrote:
Mr. Simplistic wrote:

Hard to have a discussion on something when one party has a lack of understanding of the very BASIS of the concept they brought up. A simple google search is all it takes to be brought up to speed, it's ABSURD to expect me to type all that shit out.

It's like asking about a calculus topic and the person asking doesn't what what a fucking integral is, and then everyone expecting you to teach them CALCULUS. Fuck. That.

He asked if you can make a valid case of the existence of objective morality. I provided a WELL KNOWN and WELL SUPPORTED case taught by professors on the topic. If you don't care to look it up then that's not my fucking problem.

Another analogy is

"Make a case that 4+4=9"

"EXPLAIN ADDITION"

No.

Just saying - Math is objective and there exists actual proofs of these.
-No Pity For A Coward-
http://cdn.funnyisms.com/ecc914b3-1ce2-4aa7-8b36-992cf563121f.jpg
"im srry, i din mean it massta, lil simple is gone be a good boy massta" -Mr. Simplistic
"Your taste in music is A2+ and I like how you moto." -Needy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:09 am 
Community Leader
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:84775876
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
koolaid wrote:

I understand the philosophical theory of utilitarianism at least on a fundamental level, I'm not going to pay 20 USD for a book though. You could illustrate your points with excerpts from that book if you feel it's the best representation of your philosophy? And directly counter my points with it?

Though I have to remark that instead of directly addressing my argumentation you've mainly just been saying you're wrong, go read this 500+ page book. I don't require you to go read a book illustrating why there cannot be an absolute morality either.

Recommending a book is fine but if you disagree you should be able to clearly explain why what you disagree with is wrong and your opposing viewpoint.
Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.
I really like meowers but can't own any for the time being. Image

Software Developer with a fondness for Python & UE4.
🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:14 am 
Community Leader
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:84775876
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
koolaid wrote:
Clearly you didn't look up utilitarianism and/or have not gotten to the topic yet in your supposed "course". Done in this thread, later.

WAIT how is this Utilitarian, would it not be better for you to invest significant amount of effort into me understanding your moral philosophy so I may go on to live an utilitarian life and argue it's case to other people?

Can you justify abandoning this topic within your morality!?
Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.
I really like meowers but can't own any for the time being. Image

Software Developer with a fondness for Python & UE4.
🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:22 pm 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:45881423
koolaid wrote:
Mr. Simplistic wrote:

Another analogy is

"Make a case that 4+4=9"

"EXPLAIN ADDITION"

No.

hey if your too dumb too be able to simplify and explain the subject thats on you, i dont think you should blame that on anyone else as you have yet to show any value to the argument other than "its right"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:32 pm 
EgN Member
I'm not a fucking teacher, I'm under no obligation to cater to your childish demands. I answered the question asked as the original post. I know for a fact it's right. If you don't want to bother looking it up, Not. My. Fucking. Problem.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:46 am 
EgN Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:230517

New Topic Post Reply  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 >> Next