Previous << 
1, 2, 3
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:59 pm 
EgN Member
Doldol wrote:
McNugget wrote:
So what is the issue? This was basically a 9 min video about pros of GMOs.

It's explaining what GMO's are and their pros/cons. Why are you inferring there has to be an issue in the video/topic?

Just to stir conversation. You feels me?

Social 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:00 pm 
EgN Member
ArturoLevi wrote:
Jimmah wrote:
ArturoLevi wrote:
I would compare this to the chemicals pumped into animals to make them grow bigger in industrial meat factories.

How is this bad ?

It's inhumane that is the problem. Some of these animals grow so fast that their legs can't hold their body. They use Synthetic Growth Hormones. Also, these animals need antibiotics because no one wants to clean up the shit they live in. If they weren't given antibiotics, they would die much quicker. However, some livestock can form resistance from those antibiotics and can pass it on. Then scientists need to make a new antibiotic to stop that and its just an ongoing cycle.

In the end, I don't know about you but I'd rather eat something that doesn't have growth hormones or antibiotics that could potentially be toxic to humans.

https://www.organicconsumers.org/scient ... man-health This link is pretty useful.

Eh fuck bring inhumane, they ain't humans.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:12 pm 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:45881423
McNugget wrote:
ArturoLevi wrote:
Jimmah wrote:
ArturoLevi wrote:
I would compare this to the chemicals pumped into animals to make them grow bigger in industrial meat factories.

How is this bad ?

It's inhumane that is the problem. Some of these animals grow so fast that their legs can't hold their body. They use Synthetic Growth Hormones. Also, these animals need antibiotics because no one wants to clean up the shit they live in. If they weren't given antibiotics, they would die much quicker. However, some livestock can form resistance from those antibiotics and can pass it on. Then scientists need to make a new antibiotic to stop that and its just an ongoing cycle.

In the end, I don't know about you but I'd rather eat something that doesn't have growth hormones or antibiotics that could potentially be toxic to humans.

https://www.organicconsumers.org/scient ... man-health This link is pretty useful.

i feel like you just skipped over the yellow and made it sound like art only said be nice to animals...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:18 pm 
EgN Member
Lunk wrote:
McNugget wrote:

i feel like you just skipped over the yellow and made it sound like art only said be nice to animals...

It was long and I have the attention span of a fruit fly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:21 pm 
Community Leader
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:84775876
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
McNugget wrote:
ArturoLevi wrote:
Jimmah wrote:
ArturoLevi wrote:

How is this bad ?

Well I'm pretty sure plants aren't considered self-conscious, so no it's not like animals.

Hormones have nothing to do with modifying DNA. That's not related to this at all.

I'd rather eat a plant that was human engineered to not be able to contain parasites instead of eating the natural one that may.
Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.
I really like meowers but can't own any for the time being. Image

Software Developer with a fondness for Python & UE4.
🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:53 pm 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:97829144
Doldol wrote:
McNugget wrote:
ArturoLevi wrote:
Jimmah wrote:
ArturoLevi wrote:

How is this bad ?

Well I'm pretty sure plants aren't considered self-conscious, so no it's not like animals.

Hormones have nothing to do with modifying DNA. That's not related to this at all.

I'd rather eat a plant that was human engineered to not be able to contain parasites instead of eating the natural one that may.

Sorry meant to say how this is related to CAFOs.

They are related because these GMO crops are now set as a daily diet for variety of livestock. The GMO crop I'm most referring to is corn. These animals don't usually have corn as their natural daily diet. Due to high amounts of starch instead of other grasses and plants, this is the main cause of E. Coli. 0157:H7. If humans catch this bacteria from the food they eat, it could potentially lead to death especially for children.

E. Coli O157:H7 info:
http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/faen/grass%2 ... 0coli.html

The hormones part you can forget. I just used that to answer someone's question.

Pesticides are constantly being made because these pests from time get resistance just like the animals get resistance from those antibiotics. So scientists always have to make new pesticides for crop use. Most pesticides created now are actually quite toxic to humans in large quantities. It could range from small things like nausea to cancer and reproductive harm.

You also might want to consider that if you are in a developed country, you would have an exponential growth meaning that there would be more born than dead. Mainly because developed countries contain good healthcare and medicine. Now looking at undeveloped countries is another thing because spread of diseases is much more likely.

If you haven't already, I recommend you watch Food Inc. which is a documentary film about the impacts of Industrial Agriculture and also the biography of Rachel Carson.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:10 am 
Community Leader
Legend
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
So everything you said, except my next quote is all offtopic? ok.

Quote:
Pesticides are constantly being made because these pests from time get resistance just like the animals get resistance from those antibiotics. So scientists always have to make new pesticides for crop use. Most pesticides created now are actually quite toxic to humans in large quantities. It could range from small things like nausea to cancer and reproductive harm.

So you're arguing pro-GMO?
Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.

🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:11 am 
EgN Member
Veteran
Doldol wrote:
So everything you said, except my next quote is all offtopic? ok.

Quote:

So you're arguing pro-GMO?

Pesticides and GMOs use the same idea of killing pests. They are both just as bad and I don't see why you can't understand that.
They both harm the environment and also could kill other organisms such as birds and amphibians. They both reduce bio-diversity and pollute water resources.

Everything I said wasn't off topic, it simply was an addition to why GMOs are nothing good to us from a CAFO point of view. CAFOs give livestock to feed from GMO crops because it is cheaper. I'll have to highlight everything for you just to make sure you didn't have trouble reading anything:

Sorry meant to say how this is related to CAFOs.

They are related because these GMO crops are now set as a daily diet for variety of livestock. The GMO crop I'm most referring to is corn. These animals don't usually have corn as their natural daily diet. Due to high amounts of starch instead of other grasses and plants, this is the main cause of E. Coli. 0157:H7. If humans catch this bacteria from the food they eat, it could potentially lead to death especially for children.

E. Coli O157:H7 info:
http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/faen/grass%2 ... 0coli.html

The hormones part you can forget. I just used that to answer someone's question.

You also might want to consider that if you are in a developed country, you would have an exponential growth meaning that there would be more born than dead. Mainly because developed countries contain good healthcare and medicine. Now looking at undeveloped countries is another thing because spread of diseases is much more likely.

If you haven't already, I recommend you watch Food Inc. which is a documentary film about the impacts of Industrial Agriculture and also the biography of Rachel Carson.

Now this is all on topic. If it was off topic I would not include GMO crops anywhere in here. I hope you actually read everything I said because jumping around is very annoying and I just don't have the time to explain you anymore.

One last time, why are GMO crops bad?

They are used for daily diets of livestock and even for fish. Most of the livestock end up forming something called E. Coli 0157:H7. This is dangerous to humans.

GMO crops also have the ability to kill of not only pests but other animals as well. It damages bio-diversity and pollutes water.

Also I haven't included this but since GMOs are mainly used in Industrial Agriculture, these "farms" would more than likely use synthetic fertilizers since GMOs aren't Organic nor are synthetic fertilizers. Traditional Farmers would use methane from livestock that they grow free-range.

Synthetic Fertilizers damage aquatic ecosystems because the Synthetic Fertilizers contain nitrogen that could potentially be blown away into these ecosystems. Once high amounts of nitrogen sets inside these aquatic ecosystems, Eutrophication occurs.

Eutrophication: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eutrophication

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:19 pm 
Community Leader
Legend
ArturoLevi wrote:

They are used for daily diets of livestock and even for fish. Most of the livestock end up forming something called E. Coli 0157:H7. This is dangerous to humans.

GMO crops also have the ability to kill of not only pests but other animals as well. It damages bio-diversity and pollutes water.

Also I haven't included this but since GMOs are mainly used in Industrial Agriculture, these "farms" would more than likely use synthetic fertilizers since GMOs aren't Organic nor are synthetic fertilizers. Traditional Farmers would use methane from livestock that they grow free-range.

Synthetic Fertilizers damage aquatic ecosystems because the Synthetic Fertilizers contain nitrogen that could potentially be blown away into these ecosystems. Once high amounts of nitrogen sets inside these aquatic ecosystems, Eutrophication occurs.

Well, now you (almost) properly formulated an argument. nice. (you're close to using the format of "I think x because z y q")

I think GMO crops are awesome and the future, I'd rather eat optimized GMOs than other food.

I did read what you typed up previously, but did you watch the video?

I am asking since it clearly explains why GMOs can heavily reduce (or eliminate) the use of pesticides since they can be engineered to for ex make their outer shell resistant to being eaten by a bug. So I don't think your argument of synthetic x applies, since genetic manipulation will allow the plants to be more resistant to their environment, resulting in less (or no use of) anything synthetic such as fertilizers/pesticides/hormones/etc. And If people choose to feed their animals a different plant that isn't the plant's (GMO's) fault, it's the owner's faulty decision to feed a different plant, so it's their fault, thus not related to the discussion.

So if you don't like the use of fertilizers/pesticides/hormones/etc on retail food, then shouldn't you be in favor of GMOs? Since they will reduce/eliminate the need for all the previously mentioned.

GMOs and pesticides don't use the same mechanisms for defense of the plant, pesticides are toxins that hopefully harm what harms the plants. GMOs bolster or create natural defenses againts what may harm the plant, such as thickening the shell, altering DNA so viruses can't connect to receptors, releasing substances that ward of intruders (as many non-toxic to human plants in nature do already), etc. (But why stop there, let's make everything tastier! More or less calorie rich, more rich in vitamins etc. Diy your own perfect plants!!)

This was all in the video, the fact that you ignore or don't understand this makes me think (hope) that you didn't watch the video.

🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:34 pm 
EgN Member
Veteran
Doldol wrote:
ArturoLevi wrote:

Well, now you (almost) properly formulated an argument. nice. (you're close to using the format of "I think x because z y q")

I think GMO crops are awesome and the future, I'd rather eat optimized GMOs than other food.

I did read what you typed up previously, but did you watch the video?

I am asking since it clearly explains why GMOs can heavily reduce (or eliminate) the use of pesticides since they can be engineered to for ex make their outer shell resistant to being eaten by a bug. So I don't think your argument of synthetic x applies, since genetic manipulation will allow the plants to be more resistant to their environment, resulting in less (or no use of) anything synthetic such as fertilizers/pesticides/hormones/etc. And If people choose to feed their animals a different plant that isn't the plant's (GMO's) fault, it's the owner's faulty decision to feed a different plant, so it's their fault, thus not related to the discussion.

So if you don't like the use of fertilizers/pesticides/hormones/etc on retail food, then shouldn't you be in favor of GMOs? Since they will reduce/eliminate the need for all the previously mentioned.

GMOs and pesticides don't use the same mechanisms for defense of the plant, pesticides are toxins that hopefully harm what harms the plants. GMOs bolster or create natural defenses againts what may harm the plant, such as thickening the shell, altering DNA so viruses can't connect to receptors, releasing substances that ward of intruders (as many non-toxic to human plants in nature do already), etc. (But why stop there, let's make everything tastier! More or less calorie rich, more rich in vitamins etc. Diy your own perfect plants!!)

This was all in the video, the fact that you ignore or don't understand this makes me think (hope) that you didn't watch the video.

You base all your knowledge based on this video. You don't think outside of the box. Now go back and read everything carefully. I'm tired of your jumpy attitude. Oh also use those sources. They are pretty helpful if you don't understand.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3
 >> Next