New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Philosophy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:29 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:40615045
Seems like there isnt much philosophical conversation going on these days, so I figured I'd start.
For a year or two now I've been meditating with or without smoking weed, and I feel like it's really improved my mind.
But aside from myself what sort of philosophy are you guys into?
Personally I'm into Alan Watts and a youtube channel called School of Life, I recommend giving either of them a listen.

I'd post more but I'd rather see if anyone is at least interested in this first.

Social 
 Post subject: Re: Philosophy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:35 am 
EgN Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:70493788
My roommate and I used to stay up all night talking about anything and everything. We'd get into discussions about the true horrors behind the political parties and government, the world lacking common sense, etc. I'm more fond of questioning the worlds inability to accept each other as a reproduction of their own kind instead of a creation of a new species.
Clear eyes, full hearts, cant lose. ~ Coach Eric Taylor
Creator of the Sinister Challenge.
Accidentally called the Global Chat "Network Chat" and now it's a thing.

[x]Join the Forums
[x]Make an Application
[x]Become Recruit
[x]Become Member
[x]Become Elite
[x]Become Veteran
[x]Become Staff
[x]Become Supporter
[x]Retire from EgN
[x]Get Kicked Out of the Clan Twice By Phillip
[x]Get Perm Banned from the Forums
[x]Become Staff Again

Central

Sibblet

Sunny<3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:11 am 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:45881423
Damn hippies

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:53 am 
EgN Member
Mr.GoldGames wrote:
My roommate and I used to stay up all night talking about anything and everything. We'd get into discussions about the true horrors behind the political parties and government, the world lacking common sense, etc. I'm more fond of questioning the worlds inability to accept each other as a reproduction of their own kind instead of a creation of a new species.

But arent they one in the same? Our species evolves more so mentally than physically, the way the world is today is because of evolution.
Like it is our fault but what makes us act that way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:14 am 
EgN Member
Legend
Horse wrote:
Mr.GoldGames wrote:

But arent they one in the same? Our species evolves more so mentally than physically, the way the world is today is because of evolution.

But that's not changing the DNA code of a human being. That's behavior in a species which is changing everyday. However, everyone sees others, who don't fit into the social norms of society, as aliens instead of humans. But how can we depict what the social norms are, when that too has changed since it's been invented. Sociologists state that humans will never accept other people to be in the correct social norms, because not everyone belongs into the social norm. Everyone is their own unique person, but social norms create similarities between people's personalities, which causes people to want to stand out even more. So then they think they are better than others, which creates the problem of telling others they don't matter as much as them.

[x]Join the Forums
[x]Make an Application
[x]Become Recruit
[x]Become Member
[x]Become Elite
[x]Become Veteran
[x]Become Staff
[x]Become Supporter
[x]Retire from EgN
[x]Become Staff Again

Central

Sibblet

Sunny<3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:55 pm 
EgN Member
Mr.GoldGames wrote:
Horse wrote:
Mr.GoldGames wrote:

But that's not changing the DNA code of a human being. That's behavior in a species which is changing everyday. However, everyone sees others, who don't fit into the social norms of society, as aliens instead of humans. But how can we depict what the social norms are, when that too has changed since it's been invented. Sociologists state that humans will never accept other people to be in the correct social norms, because not everyone belongs into the social norm. Everyone is their own unique person, but social norms create similarities between people's personalities, which causes people to want to stand out even more. So then they think they are better than others, which creates the problem of telling others they don't matter as much as them.

Well yes I don't think its the DNA changing, I think of it as more of like a sub level of evolution, a social evolution even, but kind of a much more linear cycle compared to DNA changing over an incomprehensible amount of years.
But a very interesting process that is. I think it kind of comes down to people relying on themselves or others in their weak moments. Not exactly that black and white though, just when people are so weak minded they have to become part of some sort of social norm "hive mind" if you will. Although that's something they do subconsciously so if you were ever to confront them about it they wouldn't understand, just kind of have to be on the outside looking in i guess. I believe that it's a cycle, everyone starts off as their own person and when things get rough they temporarily identify with social norms to make things easier, some people stay identifying with these for longer than others. I think an example of that is the internet arguably not being the same anymore. I might just have jaded vision of the past but it seems like there was a time when the internet was just an anarchy but that's what made it unique. Seemed like nobody cared what others thought everyone just accepted eachother for being different, now you have shit like twitter where 90% of it is just people trying to act cool to impress fake people. Maybe that's why I spend so many hours in jailbreak, seems like people arent afraid to be themselves there.

___

edit: hate how small this damn text is

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:17 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26380350
My Philosophy is using words and life to help those who are depressed and/or on the verge of losing sanity.
Basically the nature of Sadness.

I have no idea why it appeals to me, but listening to music and thinking about how life can start small and end big. Topple the highest mountains and crawl the lowest valleys. It was once said that life is precious, and for one to receive such a gift; you were chosen. You needn't waste it with suicidal tendencies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:57 am 
EgN Member
Goddess wrote:
My Philosophy is using words and life to help those who are depressed and/or on the verge of losing sanity.
Basically the nature of Sadness.

I have no idea why it appeals to me, but listening to music and thinking about how life can start small and end big. Topple the highest mountains and crawl the lowest valleys. It was once said that life is precious, and for one to receive such a gift; you were chosen. You needn't waste it with suicidal tendencies.

I do think this is a very interesting topic, sadly it's pretty trivialized by people who act like they're on the verge of suicide just to get attention, and it's hard to tell who's really at that point.
But we have to ask what is losing your sanity, is it just acting on every impulse you have or is it becoming completely empty inside?

I don't know what your stance on religion is, but I don't think anyone was chosen.
I believe that everyone is just part of a mass of energy flying through space that ended up becoming a human, therefore becoming sentient.

But on a more personal level, I agree that observing the nature of sadness in others or even yourself is pretty limitlessly interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:41 am 
EgN Member
Legend
I'd love to sit down with the both of you an discuss our thoughts on certain topics.

[x]Join the Forums
[x]Make an Application
[x]Become Recruit
[x]Become Member
[x]Become Elite
[x]Become Veteran
[x]Become Staff
[x]Become Supporter
[x]Retire from EgN
[x]Become Staff Again

Central

Sibblet

Sunny<3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:14 am 
EgN Member
Mr.GoldGames wrote:
I'd love to sit down with the both of you an discuss our thoughts on certain topics.

^

New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3
 >> Next