Keep the hacks and skins out! 47%  47%  [ 28 ]
Lets just keep it fun! 53%  53%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 59
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:27 am 
EgN Member
Elder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22040504
Yiggles Moto wrote:
There's also skins that give some weapons a laser sight or something similar (think awp/scout hip fire)

You can put a dot in the middle of your monitor and have the same affect, and it's undetectable.

If that's all skins do advantage-wise, I'd say let the kids have their toys. But I think you can do more (I really don't know).

Can anyone elaborate on what the skins advantages are? I can see having more room to see be better, or a dot in the middle of your screen from a skin, but if that's the only advantage, it's not a big one.
Gonna revise your Levi's with physical harm
Put divets in the rivets with my physical arm
Gonna beat those jeans, gonna dip em in slime
Turn your 501s into 499s

The Senate: Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise?
Anakin: No
The Senate: I thought not. It’s not a story the Jedi would tell you. It’s a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life… He had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.
Anakin: He could actually save people from death?
The Senate: The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.
Anakin: What happened to him?
The Senate: He became so powerful… the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. Ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself.
Anakin: Is it possible to learn this power?
The Senate: Not from a Jedi.

Social 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:23 pm 
EgN Member
Elder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:23228291
To answer charlie, I would assume things like wireframing weapons to see through them, as well as adding the laser dots could help. I'm not certain what else is possible through allowing custom skins though, unless they're able to pass actual hacks through the skin folder through some weird ass execution.

Birthstone wrote:
Kharn wrote:
Birthstone wrote:
We have custom skins on our JB? Or are we talking about, like, client-side only skins?

Client side skins, but allowing those create an easily exploitable situation.

Yeah idk it seems silly to have client-side only skins. If there's no way of plugging that security leak, I'd rather just get rid of them and +1 the store system like other people are talking about.

I know i'm a bit out of the loop nowadays, but i'd be interested in helping develop a store plugin if whoever is leading the charge would have me on their team.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:33 pm 
EgN Member
Elite
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:80560949
Siberiac wrote:
To answer charlie, I would assume things like wireframing weapons to see through them, as well as adding the laser dots could help. I'm not certain what else is possible through allowing custom skins though, unless they're able to pass actual hacks through the skin folder through some weird ass execution.

Birthstone wrote:
Kharn wrote:
Birthstone wrote:
We have custom skins on our JB? Or are we talking about, like, client-side only skins?

Yeah idk it seems silly to have client-side only skins. If there's no way of plugging that security leak, I'd rather just get rid of them and +1 the store system like other people are talking about.

I know i'm a bit out of the loop nowadays, but i'd be interested in helping develop a store plugin if whoever is leading the charge would have me on their team.

That would Dyno I think.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth." ~Oscar Wilde

"True leaders don't create followers, they create more leaders."

"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness." ~Aristotle

"Knowing when to walk away is wisdom. Being able to is courage. Walking away, with your head held high is dignity."

"As I look back on my life, I realize that every time I thought I was being rejected from something good, I was actually being re-directed to something better."

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no less of enthusiasm." ~Winston Churchill

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving." ~Albert Einstein

Of course life is a bitch. If it was a slut it would be easy.

Life is a bitch. So learn to fuck it.

Welcome to EgN. Warning, we are not a G-Rated clan. We speak our mind, a lot of it is dirty. Topics may include things not suitable for children. Anyone offended by vulgarity, refrain from our forum. Anyone offended by light nudity, avoid the orgy room. So basically, now that all the wusses have been weeded out, welcome to EgN.™

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:44 pm 
EgN Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_1:0:16728863
Nemesis wrote:
Siberiac wrote:

Birthstone wrote:
Kharn wrote:
Birthstone wrote:

That would Dyno I think.

Without getting too much into this, it would enable materials wallhacks as well which if we whitelite the materials folder, it can also be put into the custom folder so it's a big exploit in regards too that (so seeing through walls)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:48 pm 
EgN Member
Legend
Siberiac wrote:

Birthstone wrote:
Kharn wrote:
Birthstone wrote:

Also a store plugin wouldn't be so much writing a new module but adapting a current module removing most of the crap and making it work with an earlier version of sourcemod which I believe we use 1.7 dev or something I would have to double check

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:04 pm 
EgN Member
Elder
Dyno wrote:
Siberiac wrote:

Birthstone wrote:
Kharn wrote:
Birthstone wrote:

Also a store plugin wouldn't be so much writing a new module but adapting a current module removing most of the crap and making it work with an earlier version of sourcemod which I believe we use 1.7 dev or something I would have to double check

Adapting a current module? Care to elaborate?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:08 pm 
EgN Member
Legend
Siberiac wrote:
Dyno wrote:
Siberiac wrote:

Birthstone wrote:
Kharn wrote:
Birthstone wrote:

We could write one from scratch, or look for a plugin that is already existing and then edit the files to remove most of the crap like pets, hats, speed boosts, invisibility crap and just have it vanilla, then add skins which people could purchase however i personally don't think a store plugin would be good for the jailbreak server as it would take up more resources and turn it a bit more chaotic. Happy to write one/ edit an existing plugin although it's another story all together and getting away from the main point of this topic which is whether or not we enforce pure or keep it off (currently on -1) I would strongly suggest against a store plugin as I think the novelty of it will wear off as fast as we put it on

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:14 pm 
EgN Member
Elder
Dyno wrote:
Siberiac wrote:
Dyno wrote:
Siberiac wrote:

Birthstone wrote:
Kharn wrote:
Birthstone wrote:

We could write one from scratch, or look for a plugin that is already existing and then edit the files to remove most of the crap like pets, hats, speed boosts, invisibility crap and just have it vanilla, then add skins which people could purchase however i personally don't think a store plugin would be good for the jailbreak server as it would take up more resources and turn it a bit more chaotic. Happy to write one/ edit an existing plugin although it's another story all together and getting away from the main point of this topic which is whether or not we enforce pure or keep it off (currently on -1) I would strongly suggest against a store plugin as I think the novelty of it will wear off as fast as we put it on

At that point we get to worry about crediting the original programmer of the plugin. In recent history i believe we are aiming to create all our plugins so that we aren't relying on others for updates etc. While it's slightly away from the point, it's still relevant to the conversation. Is the actual store just to allow people to use semi-custom skins be worth it in the amount of time we're going to have to put into it? Probably not. Honestly since the beginning i've been down for having unified custom skins for the server (prisoner and guard rather than CT and T).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:22 pm 
EgN Member
Legend
Siberiac wrote:
Dyno wrote:
Siberiac wrote:
Dyno wrote:
Siberiac wrote:

Birthstone wrote:
Kharn wrote:
Birthstone wrote:

At that point we get to worry about crediting the original programmer of the plugin. In recent history i believe we are aiming to create all our plugins so that we aren't relying on others for updates etc. While it's slightly away from the point, it's still relevant to the conversation. Is the actual store just to allow people to use semi-custom skins be worth it in the amount of time we're going to have to put into it? Probably not. Honestly since the beginning i've been down for having unified custom skins for the server (prisoner and guard rather than CT and T).

Coding our own is not a problem at all, it takes time and effort that's all. Where we would also get into the argument that people would want different skins/new skins and we would always have to constantly update that I mean I know how to code yet I have never even tried creating my own skins, so if we want that we would have the same problems mentioned above at crediting skin creators etc, also on that point I'm not sure we have people in our community proficient in writing their own custom skins (That I'm aware of) so this would be a huge project for all involved although it would be rewarding at the end, we would also have to think logically about this. Skins we provide people may not like, so will request different ones, which we wouldn't have then it will go back to the same problem we have now with enforcing purity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:51 pm 
EgN Member
Elder
Dyno wrote:
Coding our own is not a problem at all, it takes time and effort that's all. Where we would also get into the argument that people would want different skins/new skins and we would always have to constantly update that I mean I know how to code yet I have never even tried creating my own skins, so if we want that we would have the same problems mentioned above at crediting skin creators etc, also on that point I'm not sure we have people in our community proficient in writing their own custom skins (That I'm aware of) so this would be a huge project for all involved although it would be rewarding at the end, we would also have to think logically about this. Skins we provide people may not like, so will request different ones, which we wouldn't have then it will go back to the same problem we have now with enforcing purity

Exactly. Honestly when you look at opportunity cost, think about what we could be creating instead. Life isn't just about satisfying everyone at all times, it's about making a decision based on experience and analysis. While the store wouldn't be a "problem" it would be extremely time consuming, and create yet another time sink in updating and trying to please everyone at all times. I just feel that in this scenario, to replace custom skins, it's definitely not the solution we should be looking at.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 >> Next