Register
Login 

New Topic Post Reply  [ 2 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:05 pm 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18797094
As many of you are most likely already aware hurricane Florence has struck the Carolinas and has caused massive flooding. I live smack dab in the middle of Myrtle Beach South Carolina. This thread is going to be about my experiences living in the middle of it and what's going on around here. Now before I begin I must note that I flew out of town 2 days before the hurricane struck (I left September 11, it hit on the 13th) and did not return until two weeks later on the 25th. Now my experiences may not be as first hand as say my family's was because they had to evacuate, or other people who were here for the worst of it. If enough people take interest I may semi update this thread regularly but for now I'll just start with one post. Below is a photo of flood map FEMA along with the county I live in collaborated to make. The flag represents where I live, all the blue is flooding.

So far no water has managed to make it to my home. However a few miles down the road there is an important bridge and waterway that boats like to travel up and down. The water level has risen SIGNIFICANTLY to the point where its almost passing the bridge. Below is a small snapchat I took of the flooding the day I returned near said bridge (September 25th):

FEMA has provided little or no support to residents of our community causing many people to get together and provide food, clothes, and supplies to people whose homes were flooded by the hurricane. There are 2 schools located directly next to my development (An elementary school in the front, a middle school in the back) that have been taking donations of supplies to help out people during the flooding. So far we have not lost power in our development and the water has remained at bay away from us. We still have flash flood warnings everyday and heavy rainfall. I can not leave my house very much because theres only a few places I can travel without running into police blocking off an area because of looting or complete flooding in general. My old high school located a few miles up the road has a neighborhood behind it that is completely underwater. I've spoke to a few friends who had to evacuate and some of their homes once they returned were either flood damaged or have many dead fish all over their lawn or near there home. I try to keep my hopes up that things will get better soon but as of right now its very stressful and very hard. They've stopped picking up our trash because they can't get here. Water is running in short supply at many local grocery stores. Many MANY gas stations have run out of gas and won't be refueled till the flooding cools down. Everyday a new road closes down or another opens up making traveling increasingly difficult. People have jacked up prices and scamming people on the simplest things like sandbags to keep water out. The Governor declared a state of emergency before the hurricane even started. Please try to keep my state in your thoughts and if you have any extra supplies or money I HIGHLY encourage you to donate it to Florence releif efforts. DONT directly donate to anything FEMA related we were promised many relief efforts and supports they are not providing.

EDIT: This post started being written on the 25th but due to my illness was not completed till the 29th
Victory is made from the ashes of one's enemies.

Social 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:29 am 
EgN Member
Veteran
Events Team Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:62263876
Im in florida its rough but not as bad as tornadoes!

New Topic Post Reply  [ 2 posts ]