New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:49 pm 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:4949658
Roughly 15 million children in the United States alone go undiagnosed with a mental or emotional illness. Doctors and parents are quick to blame social media and our use of phones, but is that truly the cause? I know nothing about Depression so I have done some research and asked our very own EgN Starscream if he can shed some light on this growing epidemic. Starscream would also like to point out that severe depression and regular depression are 2 different things. One being way worse than the other.

Can you explain what your childhood was like before you found out you were diagnosed with severe depression?

Quote:
I was a normal kid most of the time in childhood, I'd get sad and I'd get over it and I'd be fine nothing too unusual. I also have ADHD, and it was so bad when I went into middle school they put me on medication to control my ADHD. They helped me concentrate but they stripped me of my personality and made me feel uneasy most of the time. Unbeknownst to me, the medication had side effects such as depression and mood swings. I had never felt what depression was until I was 13. The medication they had me on jumpstarted the process. Made me feel like not even getting out of bed or functioning. Made me feel angry one moment and sad the next. It really screwed me up and caused me to act out and do things I wouldn't normally do.. Even after I told my parents I wasn't gonna take those meds anymore (they fought me but I won), the depression side effect never really went away. I think it was something that was lying dormant inside me and the medication finally brought it out.

Are you taking any medications now for depression, and do you feel that the doctors made it better for you or worse?

Quote:
No I don't take any medication for it. In my personal opinion I don't think pills solve everything and sometimes can make it worse. I feel as though the Doctors made it worse personally because I don't think you're supposed to have suicidal thoughts at 13 from a pill you're being forced to take.

Do you think you can describe how depression makes you feel, and if the feeling has changed over the years?

Quote:
Originally as a kid it was just a feeling of deep deep sadness that I couldn't overcome, sometimes for no reason. I feel like as an adult it has progressed, to the point of feeling totally empty, hopeless, like everything you've done is wrong, like you shouldn't exist anymore, and that the world would be better off without you. Its sad to say but having this as you get older makes it get worse.

When you look back on it, do you think there is anything you, your doctor, or your family could have done to prevent this from becoming what it is now?

Quote:
I feel like if maybe my parents had listened to me more when I tried to describe how it was making me feel they would've thought twice about forcing me to take it. They dismissed it as "you're just being dramatic and don't wanna take your meds." They only saw black and white, which was my grades were improving so it must help... I don't fault the doctor completely, I just wish the side effects were explained properly before being prescribed to me.

Is there any advice you can give to someone who is struggling with depression?

Quote:
You're not alone. It may seem like everything is terrible and there's no point of return, but you will come out of it. I personally surround myself with friends or family who help me out of my awful funks that I get in. Everyone does something differently to help themselves. Just know that you can overcome it and there's always at least ONE person you can talk to.

I would just like to take this time and thank Starscream for opening up about this and letting us all get to see what it's like for someone living with severe depression. If you guys would like to see more light shined on topics others/media don't like to talk about let me know on steam :)

Social 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:04 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:24921937
Smiley this is such an awesome topic to cover and you are doing a great job. Its very informative since I personally haven't had to deal with depression, but my 19 year old cousin who just started college suffers from it and its going through a crazy situation in which a professor did not honor his testing needs and practically failed him. I would like to know what he deals with regularly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:14 am 
Staff
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:177980773
Thank you Starscream for this!

Personally, I don’t think they are 2 complete different things, both of which is depression, but the state of depression is different in terms of how mild or bad your depression really is.

Social Media can always be a cause, depends of what comments you receive. Girls normally face more of hateful or judging comments purely on the fact that most boys want girls to look a certain way, to make them attractive, etc. Judging them on how they look, which could cause depression, and feeling insecure about themselves, making themselves feel isolated.

If you have depression, I wouldn’t recommend not talking to someone about it, or keeping it a secret, talking to people could ease your depressional state, getting the comfort of your frwinds, and allowing your friends to assist you in anyway possible that they can, even if they have no experience with depression.

Good job Smiley & Starscream!

*DEAD* EgN|s BEST ADMIN TITTYSPRINKLES: i thought today was rulebreaking day my bad :-(
*DEAD* EgN| Terminator #Fishy Guy: yup, ma dick to long :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:25 am 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:29867757
Central wrote:

Personally, I don’t think they are 2 complete different things, both of which is depression, but the state of depression is different in terms of how mild or bad your depression really is.

There's the idea of "depression" which can mean "to feel very sad", and then there's the "depression" which refers to Major Depressive Disorder, which is a mental illness, and is graded along a scale of mild / moderate /severe. I believe this is what Starscream was getting at.

This is where a lot of confusion comes from, because when someone says they're depressed, some can take that as meaning "I'm feeling very sad right now" so the person tries to cheer them up by telling them to do happy things, etc., when really they mean "My brain doesn't let me be happy" which is what the mental illness is more about.
"all tees all tees" -everyone

SYSTEMS FUNCTIONAL. NAVCOM LOCKED. ANIME SPOTTED. GOLIATH ONLINE.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:41 am 
EgN Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:49794826
Birthstone wrote:
Central wrote:

There's the idea of "depression" which can mean "to feel very sad", and then there's the "depression" which refers to Major Depressive Disorder, which is a mental illness, and is graded along a scale of mild / moderate /severe. I believe this is what Starscream was getting at.

This is where a lot of confusion comes from, because when someone says they're depressed, some can take that as meaning "I'm feeling very sad right now" so the person tries to cheer them up by telling them to do happy things, etc., when really they mean "My brain doesn't let me be happy" which is what the mental illness is more about.

Yes and with the mdd it can be extremely intense. Sometimes like birth said it can be taken as Im just sad and sometimes thats how it actually is. But a lot of times its different. Most of the time I end up feeling nothing and I just zone out of everything completely. Depression can be just sadness but once it reaches a certain stage it becomes so much more complex. Its honestly one of the hardest thing I think to try and explain to someone.

Good job btw to Smiley and Star

EgN| Vertical_360: What's a grown up? I bet its gross.
Simmons: The best jail bait there is. Get used to it :P
Jeremy 10:31 pm when you find a woman willing to walk into hell for you....you found *Her*

Spoiler: Show

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:33 am 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:15637141
http://time.com/4338947/magic-mushrooms-for-depression/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:49 am 
EgN Member
Elder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:48771745
oops

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:03 pm 
Staff
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:221617357
Thank you for this post Smiley, it will sure spread awareness because of this.

Also, thank you to Starscream. It feels so depressing reading this, of what you had to put up with, and I bet this isn't even a half of what goes through your mind.

Like in the last quote, you're not alone, you too Starscream. You have friends in this community who will show you the light by simply greeting you, making conversation etc. If you need anything, hit me up.

Anyone else who suffers from depression, I feel as if I've read stories about this a lot, but the best medication is not the medication doctors prescribe you, it's being around loved ones and friends who make you feel as if you are special, glad that you're their friend and very comforting in terms of support and general friendship.
BRITNEY SPEARS killed <>< with knife.

1. Join EgN [ X ]
2. Become a Recruit [ X ]
3. Become an EgN Member [ X ]
4. Become a Admin [ X ]
5. Become an Elite [ X ]
6. Become a Veteran [ X ]
7. Become a part of Events Team [ X ]
8. Become a Manager [ ]
9. Become a Staff [ X ]
10. Become an Advisor [ ]
11. Become the next EgN Leader! [ ]

EgN| Mr Geeza™ : Why do I always get you and sinister mixed up lol sorry xD
EgN-S| Phillip: Cause you a racist

Jafari asks the wall: What is the meaning of life?
The wall responds with: Kill yourself. DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUN
EgN-S| Mr.GoldGames: I asked for a demotion, where's my demotion at?
1 month later....
The following people have been recognised for their service to the community:

Veteran to Staff
Mr.GoldGames

EgN-S| Mr.GoldGames: I ask for a demotion but I got a promotion instead? Life sucks sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:15 pm 
EgN Member
Elder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:47477194
Thanks for making this thread mate means a lot.
In Aussie land, in my school I have seen so many friends and classmates that suffer with severe depression including myself. It's a tough thing to go through, and it will keep getting harder to deal with because of the rise of social media which will play a hand with depression. Depression is hard to deal with, even if it is someone else, like a family member who has it, it is very hard to deal with. I'm glad you put this thread up to show the very saddening truth that plagues teens. To all you out there suffering, one thing you should know. You are not alone.
<3 peace be with y'all EgN beauties and remember Why So Serious about life? Live while you can. :)

"If someone wants to fist me..." - Mr.GoldGames
"Calm Down Snapchat" - Everyone
Debuted Roast King!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:01 pm 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:4949658
SomeOcto wrote:
oops

way to be supportive! 0.5/10
Needy/Wanty is the best person alive tbh

Life goals:
[ ] get a dog
[ ] get a house
[ ] marry Needy/Wanty
[ ] live with Needy/Wanty, with dog, in house.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next