Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Texas shooting.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:56 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:36657842
Smiles wrote:
Needy wrote:
Smiles wrote:
Why is this ( ie shootings) more common in america? There is obviously a problem if this keeps happening every month...

2nd amendment

Well the the 2nd amendment sucks, no one should own a assault rifle, you can hunt with a musket or some bows and arrows and protect yourself with em too.

The 2nd Amendment was put in place in order to protect the citizens from a tyrannical government.

I want to own an assault rifle in order to protect myself from someone who also has an assault rifle. News flash, the shooter in Texas owned his rifle illegally, he could not purchase it through legal means.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Social 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:15 pm 
EgN Member
ajescorcia025 wrote:
Needy wrote:
Smiles wrote:
Why is this ( ie shootings) more common in america? There is obviously a problem if this keeps happening every month...

2nd amendment

Since I am not only a lawyer, but a prosecutor, I deal with A LOT of unlawful carry of weapon cases....despite Texas being an open carry state.

Well its just more than the 2nd amendment....there is a history of private gun ownership that is not only tied to the history of the founders not believing in a standing army and believed in militia volunteers, but also to Post Civil War Wild West. There was no law in the frontier and the only law was those that were armed.

That being said, gun ownership rights needs to modernize with the world as it is. No more BS interest group money from the NRA, period! NRA has destroyed any political will and capital to reform gun rights and laws. We need to have all arms in a national registry, need to shore up 3rd party "straw men" buyers, fix exceptions to background checks at gun shows, etc. The gun debate cannot be solved by congress....it needs the courts to define what the 2nd amendment entails.

This tragedy however highlights something else other than gun access and rights. That is the grave error the Air force did in not reporting this defendant's convictions to the Feds and also clearly defining domestic violence from simple assault bodily injury. There are 3 instances in which you aren't allowed to have a gun by law: 1. If you are a convicted felon, 2. if you have been convicted of domestic violence (AKA Assault Family Member), and 3. are a member of a gang and are ID'ed as a gang member via tats/street name/etc.

There are big differences between Assault Bodily injury & Assault Family Member. Both are Class A misdemeanors which mean both are punishable by a fine of up to $4000 and confinement up to a year in jail. A conviction of Assault Family Member carries what is called an "affirmative finding of family violence" in which if a person convicted of this does it again, it is AUTOMATICALLY a felony which deals in YEARS for punishment rather than months. Whereas with Assault Bodily Injury, you can get as many convictions for it and nothing in terms of getting bumped up to felony charge on subsequent cases happens.

Apparently the Airforce and the military in general in its Uniform Code of Military Justice does not have Assault Family Violence, but only Assault. Federal reporting requires it to be assault family violence so i'm not sure even if it was reported it would qualify to prevent him from legally getting a gun due to the statutory nature of the charge. Who knows how many hundreds if not thousands of such cases haven't been reported.......

And if they had reported it, they might have been able to take notice of how he escaped a mental institution and get him involuntarily committed.

Although I agree that it should be more difficult for unfit people to buy guns, none of your argument applies to the situation in Texas. The shooter was not allowed to buy any guns as it was, he had beaten his wife and had a psychotic past. He was also stopped by someone with an AR-15. If he hadn't been shot who knows how many more people he could have killed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:59 am 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:29867757
Doldol wrote:
pew pew bam bam

haha! death!
"all tees all tees" -everyone

SYSTEMS FUNCTIONAL. NAVCOM LOCKED. ANIME SPOTTED. GOLIATH ONLINE.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:02 pm 
Community Leader
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:84775876
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
Synthic wrote:
Smiles wrote:
Needy wrote:
Smiles wrote:

2nd amendment

Well the the 2nd amendment sucks, no one should own a assault rifle, you can hunt with a musket or some bows and arrows and protect yourself with em too.

The 2nd Amendment was put in place in order to protect the citizens from a tyrannical government.

I want to own an assault rifle in order to protect myself from someone who also has an assault rifle. News flash, the shooter in Texas owned his rifle illegally, he could not purchase it through legal means.

"tyrannical government." > Hilarious

Maybe protecting is the police's job? Works fine in the EU.
Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.
I really like meowers but can't own any for the time being. Image

Software Developer with a fondness for Python & UE4.
🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:17 pm 
EgN Member
Doldol wrote:
Synthic wrote:
Smiles wrote:
Needy wrote:
Smiles wrote:

2nd amendment

"tyrannical government." > Hilarious

Maybe protecting is the police's job? Works fine in the EU.

Sorry no. If someone invades my home, I will not be calling the police and hiding in the closet for them to save me. I'll be grabbing my shotgun and protecting myself.

There are 300 million+ guns in circulation among the American citizens. 0% chance the government can ever forcefully oppress us.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:26 pm 
Staff
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:43792252
Sunny<3 wrote:
At least 26 people have been killed and 20 others wounded after a gunman opened fire at a Texas church during a Sunday service. He was later found dead in his car a few miles away.

The shooter is known as Devin Patrick Kelley, 26, he has been reported to have been discharged from the US air force in 2014 following a court cause for assault on his wife and child.
The motive for the killings was not immediately clear.
More on that story here.

Needy wrote:
Smiles wrote:

2nd amendment

I'm gonna go ahead and say it's more that these people get exactly what they want, news stories all over the nation with their name on the headlines.
-No Pity For A Coward-
http://cdn.funnyisms.com/ecc914b3-1ce2-4aa7-8b36-992cf563121f.jpg
"im srry, i din mean it massta, lil simple is gone be a good boy massta" -Mr. Simplistic
"Your taste in music is A2+ and I like how you moto." -Needy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:38 pm 
EgN Member
Yiggles Moto wrote:
Needy wrote:
Smiles wrote:

2nd amendment

I'm gonna go ahead and say it's more that these people get exactly what they want, news stories all over the nation with their name on the headlines.

ding ding ding

and also the fact that they are always psychotic and fucked up on drugs, but hey its always the guns fault right :^)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:01 pm 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:150625838
Synthic wrote:
ding ding ding

and also the fact that they are always psychotic and fucked up on drugs, but hey its always the guns fault right :^)

The whole "guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument is weak because it literally sidesteps the entire debate about gun law.
To all the the ladies, peace, and humptiness.

ask me about film, novels, fashion, cinematography, and/or music & you'll have my ear for hours

Doldol 🐾: I'm a Hyper Nova
Doldol 🐾: Kharn can be a
Doldol 🐾: Super Massive Black Hole
EgN-S| Needy: lmao
Doldol 🐾: xD
EgN-S| Needy: dude idk why, but i thought you were going to say super massive black cocc
Doldol 🐾: You can be a
Doldol 🐾: LOL
Doldol 🐾: nono thatd then be micro astroid
Doldol 🐾: or so ive heard
EgN-S| Needy: Like he's just one big degenerate penus
Doldol 🐾: ROFL
Doldol 🐾: IK
Doldol 🐾: xd

her favourite colour was yellow

Smiley: yes, I have a job now so I can be the breadwinner of the household and you can just relax to Rex all day :)

life goals
[  ] become legend before mootinie
[  ] get 10,000 post before mutiny
[  ] marry smiley

Tricky: i don't think any of the staff+ are here to slap their e-penis on you

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:06 pm 
EgN Member
Needy wrote:
Synthic wrote:
ding ding ding

The whole "guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument is weak because it literally sidesteps the entire debate about gun law.

What gun legislation would have prevented this church shooting?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:52 am 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:29867757
Current gun legislation wasn't enforced. Mental healthcare wasn't provided to this gentleman. We need to do better than this.
"all tees all tees" -everyone

SYSTEMS FUNCTIONAL. NAVCOM LOCKED. ANIME SPOTTED. GOLIATH ONLINE.

New Topic Locked  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 >> Next