1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:26 pm 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26201796
Spoiler: Show

Please include your own opinions on the matter, but I will only present the news as objective as possible despite the source. Keep it civil.

Two days ago marked the final removal of confederate statues in New Orleans, this follows a nationwide debate regarding the pride of Confederate heritage and display of such. Supporters of these actions have long been outspoken, and see these memorials as glorifying or "sanitizing" what the confederate states stood for. However this isn't the only opinion. Down South many people are claiming this to be destruction of precious history.

Prominent white-supremacist groups have been spotted defending and rallying around countless memorials in an effort to stop the wiping of their heritage and history. The counter-point is that this is of a group of states that opposed America in the first place, and there are seldom found examples of this pride allowed in "conquered lands."

My Opinion

Spoiler: Show
Still Here, Forever

Social 
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:15 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:29777410
Wow it's one thing to dislike the statue but to graffiti it is another. Someone spent all that time working on those statues just for someone to ruin their work.
I don't spam the forums to raise my post count like most people

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:16 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:24921937
Northside Shorty wrote:
Wow it's one thing to dislike the statue but to graffiti it is another. Someone spent all that time working on those statues just for someone to ruin their work.

Frankly that doesn't matter. Not sure people would be outraged if people graffitied a statute of Hitler....

That being said I find the argument that it is "heritage" to be a myth. The civil war was pure and simple about the state right to keep fellow human beings enslaved. I'm a big history buff and big into miltiary history in particular, however as an immigrant and naturalized citizen I cannot grasp why people hold on to romanticized version of traitors that stood up to the elected authority. The only other analogy i can think of right now is that Nazism isn't about heritage, its about hate.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:43 pm 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26201796
ajescorcia025 wrote:
That being said I find the argument that it is "heritage" to be a myth. The civil war was pure and simple about the state right to keep fellow human beings enslaved. I'm a big history buff and big into miltiary history in particular, however as an immigrant and naturalized citizen I cannot grasp why people hold on to romanticized version of traitors that stood up to the elected authority. The only other analogy i can think of right now is that Nazism isn't about heritage, its about hate.

I agree, I think it's fine and dandy to be proud of where you're from. There's a line though where you shouldn't be glorifying the men who had fought for the right to own slaves. They got conquered, no need for General Lee to be revered. Sherman didn't march to the sea for nothing.
Still Here, Forever

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:53 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:29777410
ajescorcia025 wrote:
Frankly that doesn't matter. Not sure people would be outraged if people graffitied a statute of Hitler....

I mean I just feel bad for the person who had to work on the statue. I mean he/she put their time and effort into it.
I don't spam the forums to raise my post count like most people

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:09 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:40615045
Not every statue is meant to glorify it's cause, a lot of people gave their lives for that flag and deserve respect or at least rememberance for what once was.
Was there a sign on it saying that slaves were good? I'd assume not.
Of course people would tag it up, any angsty teen who watched a few anti trump vids thinks they're the next revolutionist of our era.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:17 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:41521118
To a degree I agree/get what you mean, but just because something doesn't explicitly say something on it, like a sign saying slavery is good, doesn't mean it doesn't represent that. We've already hit godwin's law, so I'll counter with this. The Nazi flag doesn't say anything about genocide on it, but it does represent that to a degree.
FUCK

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:24 am 
EgN Member
Birdman wrote:
To a degree I agree/get what you mean, but just because something doesn't explicitly say something on it, like a sign saying slavery is good, doesn't mean it doesn't represent that. We've already hit godwin's law, so I'll counter with this. The Nazi flag doesn't say anything about genocide on it, but it does represent that to a degree.

Only if that's how you interpret it.
Nobody has to go see the sign, just in the same way as nobody has to read about it in a book or watch a show about it.
What they're doing is censoring the world because fragile people are the vocal minority.
I mean I get it defending blacks is the cool thing to do these days but how offended can you really get by a statue that represents the history of our country.
Today it's the confederate flag for being racist, tomorrow its the mona lisa for objectifying women.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:34 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:41521118
What does tearing down a statue that represents slavery censor? I highly doubt the mass majority of Americans will forget that period of our history any time soon, just as I doubt the German people, let alone the world, will forget the holocaust and the disgusting people involved in it. I don't know why you think I'm defending anybody, but I can tell you that whenever I see a nazi flag or swastika emblazoned in a public place let alone if there was a statue to hitler or nazi propaganda posters up in public, I am certainly offended and repulsed because my people were victims of that tragedy.

Edit: To be a little clearer, I would be more offended by a nazi statue/sanctioned propaganda than by swastika graffiti
FUCK

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:47 am 
EgN Member
Birdman wrote:
What does tearing down a statue that represents slavery censor? I highly doubt the mass majority of Americans will forget that period of our history any time soon, just as I doubt the German people, let alone the world, will forget the holocaust and the disgusting people involved in it. I don't know why you think I'm defending anybody, but I can tell you that whenever I see a nazi flag or swastika emblazoned in a public place let alone if there was a statue to hitler or nazi propaganda posters up in public, I am certainly offended and repulsed because my people were victims of that tragedy.

Edit: To be a little clearer, I would be more offended by a nazi statue/sanctioned propaganda than by swastika graffiti

As if it's to be considered fucking sanctioned propoganda lmao, with that logic let's all mob over to the holocaust museum and break everything inside.
Don't be so dramatic, no relative of yours that's living went through the holocaust, everyone just wants a reason to be offended.

New Topic Locked  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next