Register
Login 

New Topic Post Reply  [ 9 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:12 pm 
EgN Member
Elder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:7018832

I'd like the promotion, the paycheck and parking spot. But I don’t really want to be in charge of anything.

#Wolfie4Staff2k17/2k18
<05:09:34> "Wolfie" was removed from server group "Supporter" by "Kharn".
<05:09:39> "Wolfie" was added to server group "Staff" by "Kharn".

k :/

Social 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:48 pm 
EgN Member
Elder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:39362328
Kills this many people and is sentenced to 21 years of watching tv and playing video games. Doesnt seem like justice has been served.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:01 pm 
EgN Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_1:0:16728863
I watched that whole thing and holy shit that guy is smart, but a fucking nutter at the same time, I feel sorry for all those that lost their lives. Hopefully the policing systems in Norway were solved and upgraded since this day

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:40 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:117015658
Dyno wrote:
Hopefully the policing systems in Norway were solved and upgraded since this day

Guess it depends how you look at "solved". The problem for us in this situation is that before this incident, better systems hadn't been demanded or needed, as it's an action someone hadn't really thought could/would happen in our country.

What they have done after this though for example, is set in place a system where there are always helicopter pilots available for the police helicopters (one of the main issues that had arisen during the incident. We had police helicopters, but no pilots readily available to use them. This probably cost a decent amount of people their lives.)

All in all I guess it was somewhat of an awakening call for our police force regarding our current level of protection, focusing on better proactivity in the future, so that the reaction will be more effective/efficient.

Dyno wrote:
holy shit that guy is smart, but a fucking nutter at the same time

Yeah, I do agree he was incredibly smart in his approach, no matter how disgusting the act. A cousin of mine went to the same primary school as him, and said while he didn't really seem to have a lot of friends, he didn't seem weird enough for someone doing this type of shit either. Sometimes difficult to grasp just how someone ends up having these extremist views/ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:51 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:117015658
Merle wrote:
Kills this many people and is sentenced to 21 years of watching tv and playing video games. Doesnt seem like justice has been served.

The Norwegian justice system tends not to be about revenge/vengeance or justice, but about rehabilitation. While I doubt a person such as this can be rehabilitated, and while he probably will spend the rest of his life in prison, we still attempt to rehabilitate him for the sake of the system.(after the 21 initial years, the sentence can/will be extended assuming the person is deemed unfit to return to society). In my opinion, a system focusing on rehabilitation is better than one focusing on vengeance or "justice".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:45 am 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:29867757
Merle wrote:

As others have said, rehabilitation and isolation is the goal here. Treating criminals like animals who have no rights just makes it all the more likely that they'll commit the same crimes. Recidivism is a huge problem in Western countries, precisely because we have a culture of dehumanizing criminals.

This man isn't a boogieman, he's an insane, sick, man, and because of this is likely going to be locked away for the rest of his life under Norwegian law. But, as a human, he still has rights. Cruel and unusual punishments make us just as bad as the worst among us. Fair punishment is what justice is about.
"all tees all tees" -everyone

SYSTEMS FUNCTIONAL. NAVCOM LOCKED. ANIME SPOTTED. GOLIATH ONLINE.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:57 am 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:45881423
Birthstone wrote:
Merle wrote:

As others have said, rehabilitation and isolation is the goal here. Treating criminals like animals who have no rights just makes it all the more likely that they'll commit the same crimes. Recidivism is a huge problem in Western countries, precisely because we have a culture of dehumanizing criminals.

This man isn't a boogieman, he's an insane, sick, man, and because of this is likely going to be locked away for the rest of his life under Norwegian law. But, as a human, he still has rights. Cruel and unusual punishments make us just as bad as the worst among us. Fair punishment is what justice is about.

Yea rehabilitation > retribution. We can disagree on the best path for rehabilitation but if we just fuck them for ducking us then let them out well they just gonna fuck us again. Would be better to just kill them at that point (I’m against the death penalty tho just in case ppl are innocent)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:46 am 
EgN Member
Elder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:39362328
Mr. Simplistic wrote:
Birthstone wrote:
Merle wrote:

Yea rehabilitation > retribution. We can disagree on the best path for rehabilitation but if we just fuck them for ducking us then let them out well they just gonna fuck us again. Would be better to just kill them at that point (I’m against the death penalty tho just in case ppl are innocent)

People like this are a waist of time and money "rehabilitating" them when they have ruined so many peoples life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:33 am 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:29867757
Merle wrote:
People like this are a waist of time and money "rehabilitating" them when they have ruined so many peoples life.

In this specific instance, yes, rehabilitation likely won't do anything. But that doesn't mean we should strip them of their humanity.
"all tees all tees" -everyone

SYSTEMS FUNCTIONAL. NAVCOM LOCKED. ANIME SPOTTED. GOLIATH ONLINE.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 9 posts ]