Login 

New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Performance capture
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:02 pm 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:150625838
What are some of your thoughts on mocap and CGI effects? And why does it seem like every [video game] animator is against it? Have been like hella fucking interested in taking a workshop next semester for it given the performance of Quantic Dream studio and Andy Serkis directed films.

Spoiler: Show
To all the the ladies, peace, and humptiness.

ask me about film, novels, fashion, cinematography, and/or music & you'll have my ear for hours

Doldol 🐾: I'm a Hyper Nova
Doldol 🐾: Kharn can be a
Doldol 🐾: Super Massive Black Hole
EgN-S| Needy: lmao
Doldol 🐾: xD
EgN-S| Needy: dude idk why, but i thought you were going to say super massive black cocc
Doldol 🐾: You can be a
Doldol 🐾: LOL
Doldol 🐾: nono thatd then be micro astroid
Doldol 🐾: or so ive heard
EgN-S| Needy: Like he's just one big degenerate penus
Doldol 🐾: ROFL
Doldol 🐾: IK
Doldol 🐾: xd

her favourite colour was yellow

Smiley: yes, I have a job now so I can be the breadwinner of the household and you can just relax to Rex all day :)

life goals
[  ] become legend before mootinie
[  ] get 10,000 post before mutiny
[  ] marry smiley

Tricky: i don't think any of the staff+ are here to slap their e-penis on you

Social 
 Post subject: Re: Performance capture
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:24 pm 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:42762240
I don't remember people that work on animations and 3D models really hating mocap. If anything, it makes their job way easier. From Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance to literally any anime that uses 3D models, they all used mocap at some point, and not only cut production time on animations, but also make more fluent and "human" movements so that every animation is able to slide directly into the next animation.

Good video on how mocap played a big roll in the fatalities in MK9
Spoiler: Show

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 am 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:29867757
I don't think they're mostly against it, I think the major criticism is that they dislike how much it's relied upon.

With video games like, they blow all the budget on CGI mocap and paying actors and shit, and then they can't afford to pay the writers or 3d modellers or set designers or anything and it takes away from the project as a whole.

See how ILM progressed, you had some incredible shit in the early Star Wars movies, then Lucas got lazy and decided to make EVERYTHING cgi which leads to many ridiculous scenes that feel very obviously artificial.

Or look at, for example, Lord of the Rings. Sure, some of the CGI hasn't aged that great, some scenes stand out, but the vast majority of the CGI and motion capture is blended seamlessly with realistic environments and amazing sets. Then compare it to The Hobbit movies which came out a decade later, it just feels fake because they focused entirely on the CGI instead of the rest of the stuff that really made the movies come together.
"all tees all tees" -everyone

SYSTEMS FUNCTIONAL. NAVCOM LOCKED. ANIME SPOTTED. GOLIATH ONLINE.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:11 am 
Community Leader
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:84775876
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
Hehe, Star Citizen!

People need to get with the times, imo a lot of artists are set in their ways. Miyazaki dislikes the art style, CGI and cell animation anime is going for, but he needs to get with the times. His movies were great, but they have aged, it doesn't stand up to Your Name in animation quality/coloring for example.

Birthstone wrote:
Or look at, for example, Lord of the Rings. Sure, some of the CGI hasn't aged that great, some scenes stand out, but the vast majority of the CGI and motion capture is blended seamlessly with realistic environments and amazing sets. Then compare it to The Hobbit movies which came out a decade later, it just feels fake because they focused entirely on the CGI instead of the rest of the stuff that really made the movies come together.

While I agree the Hobbit feels faker it isn't because of lack of being able to produce good CGI, The Hobbit was originally a children's books, so it's tone is more a little more comedic.

You only notice bad CGI, these days every movie is full of CGI, have a scene with a helicopter flying? That's CGI. Even Mad Max which was praised for it's practical effects spices it up with a lot of CGI.

You mentioned Star Wars? Look at the new Disney movies, they're full of CGI and it looks great. CGI isn't a classic art, but it takes a deep understanding and specific skills to do it right. I can't watch the old Star Wars movies because how unrealistic it's practical effects are & how horrible they look.

Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.
I really like meowers but can't own any for the time being. Image

Software Developer with a fondness for Python & UE4.
🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ]