Login 

New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:08 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:12238457
It seems people still want to come on here and discuss serious things like politics, the way the clan is going, gun control and all that kinda serious dark stuff, so I think it's about time we did something to enable this. I know Kharn has said before that he doesn't really want this stuff here because of how it always gets personal but right now, it's a field day. These topics land in General Discussions or the Shoutbox and they normally get shut down or people jump in when their input isn't really warranted.

I don't really come on EgN for serious debates, I'm sure I'm not alone in simply not wanting to see it. But if you have a section that's loosely moderated, these debates can happen and they can run their course naturally. People can get this stuff out their system in a less destructive manner because the section will be specifically designed for it and it keeps these kind of discussions away from other people who might take something personally that they wouldn't have ordinarily got engaged in. I'm also thinking that a new member might see this stuff in the Shoutbox and get the wrong impression on what kind of community this actually is. I'm not denying that people are always going to be people, some of us jump to conclusions when Synthic and Birthstone are hardly representative of your typical EgN member (no offence intended, love ya both long time).

Another thing, can you make it so threads in this new section don't appear in New Posts? This way there's no chance you get mixed up in this stuff unless it's intentional. I know this is all more work for the higher-ups but I'm sure they won't mind scrubbing the Shoutbox and enforcing this rule elsewhere on the forum if it leads to more positive communications in the channels that most clan members frequent.

Social 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:30 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22218476
You say you don't come on here for serious discussion, so you want to censor those that want to talk? How about just don't participate in that thread then. Why should the world conform to your delicate sensibility? The world doesn't revolve around what you "don't want to see". Off topic board is there exactly for that - off topic threads. Go find a safe space on some college campus somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:37 am 
EgN Member
Elder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:48771745
koolaid wrote:
Go find a safe space on some college campus somewhere.

fr dude its the internet not everything is gonna be happy and shit if you want something like that just get people to put [Serious] in their title

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:44 am 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:150625838
Well, as far as i know political topics have always been allowed after a quick Staff meeting some time ago, it's the wording of the rule "No Racism or Hatred of ANY Kind. This includes discussions on Religion/Politics/Race/Country" which just meant as long as there was no hate, etc. then it was allowed; although, the "this include discussions on ____" is what got people saying the generic "No political discussions". Even a few Staff have said it, along with Kharn himself, but that rule was recently (recent meaning like 2 months ago) changed to "No discrimination. No character assassination." which is of course, no discrimination (don't need to define that) and no character assassination which by definition means:

char·ac·ter as·sas·si·na·tion
ˈker(ə)ktər əˌsasnˈāSHən/
noun
the malicious and unjustified harming of a person's good reputation.

Which covers a whole lot when it relates to any political, religious organization, or country, just don't discredit it. But you can discuss it.

More pointers;
    -deliberate and sustained process that destroys the credibility and reputation of a person, institution, organization, social group, or nation
    -raising false accusations
    -planting and fostering rumours
    -manipulating information
    -involve exaggeration, misleading half-truths, or manipulation of facts to present an untrue picture of the targeted person
    -spinning information that is technically true
    -negative campaigning
    -Opposition research is the practice of collecting information on someone that can be used to discredit them
    -A smear campaign is the use of falsehoods or distortions
    -Scandalmongering can be used to associate a person with a negative event in a false or exaggerated way

First, their intention: character attacks are by definition deliberate. Second, the public nature of the attacks: private insults do not lead to reputation damage. And third, the importance of the public perception of the attacks, which means that the truth of allegations is irrelevant. To sum it up, it's what everyone's been saying. Keep it civil. Staff just need to monitor any thread related to politics, religion, controversial topic; meaning deleting and/or editing off-topic comments while warning users if they fall under any of the areas I had listed above.
To all the the ladies, peace, and humptiness.

ask me about film, novels, fashion, cinematography, and/or music & you'll have my ear for hours

Doldol 🐾: I'm a Hyper Nova
Doldol 🐾: Kharn can be a
Doldol 🐾: Super Massive Black Hole
EgN-S| Needy: lmao
Doldol 🐾: xD
EgN-S| Needy: dude idk why, but i thought you were going to say super massive black cocc
Doldol 🐾: You can be a
Doldol 🐾: LOL
Doldol 🐾: nono thatd then be micro astroid
Doldol 🐾: or so ive heard
EgN-S| Needy: Like he's just one big degenerate penus
Doldol 🐾: ROFL
Doldol 🐾: IK
Doldol 🐾: xd

her favourite colour was yellow

Smiley: yes, I have a job now so I can be the breadwinner of the household and you can just relax to Rex all day :)

life goals
[  ] become legend before mootinie
[  ] get 10,000 post before mutiny
[  ] marry smiley

Tricky: i don't think any of the staff+ are here to slap their e-penis on you

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:48 am 
Community Member
Legend
octo wrote:
koolaid wrote:
Go find a safe space on some college campus somewhere.

fr dude its the internet not everything is gonna be happy and shit if you want something like that just get people to put [Serious] in their title

I think you two definitely misread the thread, may wanna checkup again.

He's not saying he wants to find some "safe space" on the forums. It's opening a discussion board specifically for any controversial topics (i.e political related, religion, any type of organization, so on). Where they can and are to be monitored by Staff+ though I like the idea of making them not pop up as New Posts so those who don't want to see the posts, don't have to, but it's going to be difficult for Staff to monitor being that they'd have to look out for the post in that board cross that, Staff+ can actually see any post that pops up ex. admin applications pop up for Staff+ but not to regular forum members, maybe make the posts have to be approved? So we can limit the amount of "hey what's up, liberls suc" or whichever really. Though it may be a bit unrealtisic, or hard to expect Staff+ to keep up with that being that the majority don't particularly check forums neither are they interested in I guess, babysitting threads (not my words) that relate to politics, or anything that arises controversy.

ask me about film, novels, fashion, cinematography, and/or music & you'll have my ear for hours

EgN-S| Needy: dude idk why, but i thought you were going to say super massive black cocc

Smiley: yes, I have a job now so I can be the breadwinner of the household and you can just relax to Rex all day :)

life goals
[  ] marry smiley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:04 pm 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:15637141
Step one, make forum post about private discussion <insert topic>
Step two, tell anyone that wants to join to post on said forum
Step three, open steam and add everyone that posted to chat group
Step four, forum rules dont apply anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:05 pm 
Community Member
Legend
Nick Cage wrote:
Step one, make forum post about private discussion <insert topic>
Step two, tell anyone that wants to join to post on said forum
Step three, open steam and add everyone that posted to chat group
Step four, forum rules dont apply anymore.

X

life goals
[  ] marry smiley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:32 pm 
Community Leader
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:84775876
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
koolaid wrote:
You say you don't come on here for serious discussion, so you want to censor those that want to talk? How about just don't participate in that thread then. Why should the world conform to your delicate sensibility? The world doesn't revolve around what you "don't want to see". Off topic board is there exactly for that - off topic threads. Go find a safe space on some college campus somewhere.

Uhhh? Who are you talking to?
Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.
I really like meowers but can't own any for the time being. Image

Software Developer with a fondness for Python & UE4.
🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:59 pm 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:42238843
koolaid wrote:

Your counter argument isn't responding the main point at all. The entire point of the suggestion is to give people a specific section to post in so it wouldn't leak into other sections which are meant to be used for other things rather than having heated debates about topics.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:29 pm 
EgN Member
Elder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:39362328
When are people going to realize that everyone has their own views on a subject and it is a waste of time to get butthurt over their views.(especially on the internet)

New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3
 >> Next