New Topic Post Reply  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: A Like/Upvote Feature
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:38 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:12238457
To share the love and to show appreciation. I'm know this has been discussed before but I'm not talking about a Reputation system that is balanced nor do I believe in keeping track of Likes, Upvotes and all the rest with a counter; I just want the ability to let people know that their post is awesome!

Some of you make great posts and yet some of you may not know your posts are great. You get no responses or nobody quotes you and you think "man, that sucks, nobody liked my quality content". But they did! They just didn't express it because that's the age we live in, we're not always so candid with one another.

Right now, you quote the post. But if it's a long one, that's inconvenient for us all because we have to scroll down. Quote trains and +1's are okay, I like them but I'm sure some people are put off because they always believe the post is not productive to the topic at hand.

This feature is all about spreading positive energy and encouraging well-thought out posts in a manner that is less invasive than the current medium. It is not intended to be used as a critique of somebody, hence why I am not advocating a Dislike/Downvote feature for balancing, that is simply not the intention because we should not be passing judgment nor always thinking so critically here. But I'm all for positive interactions and showing a little moral support whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Social 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:54 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21855300
Only if we have a down-vote system to accompany it, I say... It provides no incentive to make less-shitty posts. Shitty posts will always be neutral or positive, why does EgN need to be in the business of boosting egos?
Snapchat: Rozavelt

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:15 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:12238457
Uchies wrote:
Only if we have a down-vote system to accompany it, I say... It provides no incentive to make less-shitty posts. Shitty posts will always be neutral or positive, why does EgN need to be in the business of boosting egos?

I'm against a down-vote feature because the intention isn't to critique discussions. The kind of duality you're advocating is best saved for elitist communities, like a society of philosophers who may want to weed out the lesser informed among them.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:40 pm 
EgN Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:160181792
We had someone come forward with the same idea before within the last few months. I don’t think it went well with others in the community. To be honest I understand your point giving credit to those who take time to post something meaningful, but I feel people will just use it as a popularity constest to brag. We still have drama that goes on behind the scenes all the time. Having something like this could upset someone easily. Let’s say a group of people who are friends were to downvote someone just because they don’t like that person. I feel a system like this will bring some sort of drama one way or another.

IMO I wouldn’t enjoy the forums if it was like reddit.

Ignorance is bliss

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:48 pm 
Community Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:44657538
Mootinie wrote:
To share the love and to show appreciation. I'm know this has been discussed before but I'm not talking about a Reputation system that is balanced nor do I believe in keeping track of Likes, Upvotes and all the rest with a counter; I just want the ability to let people know that their post is awesome!

Some of you make great posts and yet some of you may not know your posts are great. You get no responses or nobody quotes you and you think "man, that sucks, nobody liked my quality content". But they did! They just didn't express it because that's the age we live in, we're not always so candid with one another.

Right now, you quote the post. But if it's a long one, that's inconvenient for us all because we have to scroll down. Quote trains and +1's are okay, I like them but I'm sure some people are put off because they always believe the post is not productive to the topic at hand.

This feature is all about spreading positive energy and encouraging well-thought out posts in a manner that is less invasive than the current medium. It is not intended to be used as a critique of somebody, hence why I am not advocating a Dislike/Downvote feature for balancing, that is simply not the intention because we should not be passing judgment nor always thinking so critically here. But I'm all for positive interactions and showing a little moral support whenever the opportunity presents itself.

+1

Uchies wrote:

MeMeZ
Spoiler: Show

Spoiler: Show

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:53 pm 
Staff
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:43792252
+1 +2
+1 1-
-No Pity For A Coward-
http://cdn.funnyisms.com/ecc914b3-1ce2-4aa7-8b36-992cf563121f.jpg
"im srry, i din mean it massta, lil simple is gone be a good boy massta" -Mr. Simplistic
"Your taste in music is A2+ and I like how you moto." -Needy

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:34 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21855300
dj7joke wrote:
Mootinie wrote:
Uchies wrote:

Good. notoriety > popularity, imo anyway

... and like Link said, it’s a good feature, most likely not for EgN though. This is supposed to be a chill, laid-back gaming community anyway... not attention-seeking from upvotes on a web forum, if people want to support a good post, they’ll take the time to reply and show it.

jest muh 2 centz
Snapchat: Rozavelt

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:45 pm 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:150625838
Mootinie wrote:

As long as I can gain karma from upvotes! /s

Link wrote:
We had someone come forward with the same idea before within the last few months. I don’t think it went well with others in the community. To be honest I understand your point giving credit to those who take time to post something meaningful, but I feel people will just use it as a popularity constest to brag. We still have drama that goes on behind the scenes all the time. Having something like this could upset someone easily. Let’s say a group of people who are friends were to downvote someone just because they don’t like that person. I feel a system like this will bring some sort of drama one way or another.

IMO I wouldn’t enjoy the forums if it was like reddit.

By the way, Moot did mention to not include down voting / reputation system to push users below others (not like the reddit system of posts but pushing users below others ego wise) for that exact reason you mentioned neither should it be included, we don't want users leaving or stirring up drama because they got down voted by someone. Maybe if this was a question-and-answer based site in which down voting would be more practical (quality of content) but it's not needed seeing we're a community of users who shouldn't be basing each others opinion on one or another with down voting and up voting.

I like the idea of upvoting, gives perspective from one user to another, so on.

Reddit's different from this, most of their content display valued posts putting priority over minority based off an upvoting / downvoting system which is great seeing that most topics made on reddit are opinion based and needed high quality answers pushing LQ posts below others. But that's not needed here, we're a community of people who are, suppose to be, surrounded to enjoy the company of others while playing games, so on. Most sites like Reddit or Quora are just a social aggregation (thanks wikipedia) to discuss and answer certain topics based off anonymous users (unless you're known and/or know other users on some subforum) but for the most part they're anonymous and don't need to worry about down voting a user (not that you should) but they aren't a community of users like us.
To all the the ladies, peace, and humptiness.

ask me about film, novels, fashion, cinematography, and/or music & you'll have my ear for hours

Doldol 🐾: I'm a Hyper Nova
Doldol 🐾: Kharn can be a
Doldol 🐾: Super Massive Black Hole
EgN-S| Needy: lmao
Doldol 🐾: xD
EgN-S| Needy: dude idk why, but i thought you were going to say super massive black cocc
Doldol 🐾: You can be a
Doldol 🐾: LOL
Doldol 🐾: nono thatd then be micro astroid
Doldol 🐾: or so ive heard
EgN-S| Needy: Like he's just one big degenerate penus
Doldol 🐾: ROFL
Doldol 🐾: IK
Doldol 🐾: xd

her favourite colour was yellow

Smiley: yes, I have a job now so I can be the breadwinner of the household and you can just relax to Rex all day :)

life goals
[  ] become legend before mootinie
[  ] get 10,000 post before mutiny
[  ] marry smiley

Tricky: i don't think any of the staff+ are here to slap their e-penis on you

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:40 pm 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:72199061
I don't think it's necessary to have an "upvote" system cause it won't really add much in terms of quality and simply end up being used wrongly. These types of systems really just end up degenerating into a method of sneak dissing or a agree/disagree button. Even without the ability to downvote, being able to upvote a post that is subtlety taking shots against someone (or something along those lines) promotes just as much drama as being able to downvote. It really just turns things into a popularity contest and if you need confirmation from someone every time you post something, you either want to boost your ego or saying something that isn't really worthwhile that needs someone else's recognition to be "valid".

It's really not that big of deal but expect it to encourage drama and people's feelings to get hurt.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:19 pm 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:9559529
Ryry <3

That is all

New Topic Post Reply  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next