1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:59 pm 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:150625838
Roaxes wrote:
The secret pessimist I am, I do get the feeling that SOME not all, but some of the members just want to be able to talk about retired members/exmembers without being seen by them on the chatbox, and so are arguing for it to be wiped. Cause thats like the only permission I can think of them even having other then LOAs for it to really be a big deal, not enough to feel like they have "too much perms".

But I just go with the flow whatever the decision.

I generally can't think of one member who would want retired removed for that particular reason (of course they're not going to elaborately say so) but I can normally see the arc for most outlooks. Maybe blitz, be he's the only one i can recall.

Just seems a bit more extreme than what members are putting forth in the thread.
To all the the ladies, peace, and humptiness.

ask me about film, novels, fashion, cinematography, and/or music & you'll have my ear for hours

Doldol 🐾: I'm a Hyper Nova
Doldol 🐾: Kharn can be a
Doldol 🐾: Super Massive Black Hole
EgN-S| Needy: lmao
Doldol 🐾: xD
EgN-S| Needy: dude idk why, but i thought you were going to say super massive black cocc
Doldol 🐾: You can be a
Doldol 🐾: LOL
Doldol 🐾: nono thatd then be micro astroid
Doldol 🐾: or so ive heard
EgN-S| Needy: Like he's just one big degenerate penus
Doldol 🐾: ROFL
Doldol 🐾: IK
Doldol 🐾: xd

her favourite colour was yellow

Smiley: yes, I have a job now so I can be the breadwinner of the household and you can just relax to Rex all day :)

life goals
[  ] become legend before mootinie
[  ] get 10,000 post before mutiny
[  ] marry smiley

Tricky: i don't think any of the staff+ are here to slap their e-penis on you

Social 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:15 pm 
EgN Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19242639
AJtheGreyBeard025 wrote:
Actually I can answer it. Its because when you "retire" you aren't apart of the team. Goop and JDawg, conversely you haven't given me any good reason why it shouldn't be the same as registered user. Its you're either on the team (in the clan) or that you are in the bleachers watching the team play (registered users). Want more? Join the team.

But they did join the team. They made connections, they made friends, they did enough to get voted in, they participated. There are retired people who have contributed more here than some people who are above the member rank. There are some members who haven't even fucking visited the forums since 2017. Whats the point in shuting them out by removing their ability to just chat and look at LOA's?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:31 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:24921937
J-Dawg wrote:
AJtheGreyBeard025 wrote:
Actually I can answer it. Its because when you "retire" you aren't apart of the team. Goop and JDawg, conversely you haven't given me any good reason why it shouldn't be the same as registered user. Its you're either on the team (in the clan) or that you are in the bleachers watching the team play (registered users). Want more? Join the team.

But they did join the team. They made connections, they made friends, they did enough to get voted in, they participated. There are retired people who have contributed more here than some people who are above the member rank. There are some members who haven't even fucking visited the forums since 2017. Whats the point in shuting them out by removing their ability to just chat and look at LOA's?

But they left the team. If they want all of that then why not stay? I thought contributing is its own reward. You need a participation trophy now too??

My thoughts is that its like you decide to quit somewhere to move on. The company sure as hell won't be nominating you for employee of the month since you aren't an employee anymore...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:36 pm 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:72199061
Quote:
Why does retired have too much power?

They aren't in the community and have power which outside of their rank is exclusive to community members. In the grand scheme of things they are no different than a registered user (aside from the fact they left) yet they have special privileges. They shouldn't get special treatment because they were in the community at one point or another, and if they care so much about these privileges then why wouldn't they rejoin as a member? Also, I don't think this is the right way to word what I assume you are actually trying to ask, "What is wrong with them having these powers?" seems to be more appropriate. I pose the same question to you, why do they NEED the power? And if it was so important to them and they cared so much about the community why wouldn't they be a member to have it?

Quote:
I just don't understand why people have an issue with this. The only difference between them being retired and them not being retired is that they can use the Network Chat and the LOA, which is barely any extra "power" than a random ass person who wanders into EgN and makes an account for shits and giggles.

Why do they NEED to be able to use the chat? Especially if it's used as a medium to say "Back in my day things were so much better" or to stir up shit from the outside (which members do as well, just not from the "Haha I'm not in the community so I'm gonna talk shit" perspective). When they chose to leave they willingly accepted that they wouldn't be in the community anymore and that they would lose the privileges that came with that, they aren't actually that much different than a registered user in terms of community. What makes them obliged to these permissions when they made the decision to leave and step down to the same level as a "random ass person who wanders into EgN and makes an account for shits and giggles"?

Quote:
Why can't we just not count them as members and keep the rank?

I never said remove the rank so I'll leave this to other people to answer. However, I think most people that have a problem with the rank would be happy if they were the same as "registered user" just with their own seperate user group.

Quote:
Where is the "toxicity and trolling" that I haven't seen?

Well I feel like this is a loaded question since obviously I'm not supposed to name people or quote specific instances but I think Goldgames's thread (even though like I said some members were participating as well) and just in the shoutbox, in general, it's not uncommon either. This is also subjective, just because YOU don't feel like people are toxic doesn't mean others feel the same way. How I see it, if enough people in the community feel that the general attitude and behavior of people in the retired "rank" is toxic, they should have some say in how the "rank" functions.

Quote:
Why does the "toxicity and trolling" put the rank at jeopardy? Why can't this "toxicity and trolling" be dealt with individually?

Well like I said people specifically have a problem with how people in the retired "rank" are acting and think they don't need to have certain privileges. It's also hard to handle toxicity with specific people if they play close enough to the rules to avoid getting in trouble, I think Staff+ also give too many warnings at times on threads, I haven't counted but on Goldgames's thread alone I think there were 3 or more warnings consecutively with no action being taken. They also aren't held to the same standard as members because they technically aren't in the community and don't have as much responsibility. I also think one thing worth taking into account is not everyone retires with "good will" exactly. A fair amount of people who retire leave in malice and it's also important to remember the rank currently includes people once banned or expelled from the community. But long story short it's pretty easy to not get in trouble if you know your way around the rules here, even easier if you are retired and know what you are doing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:39 pm 
EgN Member
Legend
AJtheGreyBeard025 wrote:
J-Dawg wrote:
AJtheGreyBeard025 wrote:

But they left the team. If they want all of that then why not stay? I thought contributing is its own reward. You need a participation trophy now too??

Its not a participation award. Some people need to leave for specific reasons that they can't help which means they are unable to contribute on a regular basis. They've made friends here, why should we shut them out because they're unable/unwilling to contribute?

See people are inflating the chatbox as this huge privilage. Its a fucking place to chat. Why can't we let the people who made friends in this community chat with their friends? I truly don't understand the logic that removing retired will fix the communities problems. The only thing it will do is show people that the friends you make and the connections you create mean jack shit and will push people away.

And that "contributing is it's own reward" is right, but also takes TIME. Some people don't have TIME to contribute, but still want to be involved with the friends they made. Chatbox is not a "participation trophy", it allows people to chat with one another.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:45 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:24921937
J-Dawg wrote:
AJtheGreyBeard025 wrote:
J-Dawg wrote:
AJtheGreyBeard025 wrote:

Its not a participation award. Some people need to leave for specific reasons that they can't help which means they are unable to contribute on a regular basis. They've made friends here, why should we shut them out because they're unable/unwilling to contribute?

See people are inflating the chatbox as this huge privilage. Its a fucking place to chat. Why can't we let the people who made friends in this community chat with their friends? I truly don't understand the logic that removing retired will fix the communities problems. The only thing it will do is show people that the friends you make and the connections you create mean jack shit and will push people away.

And that "contributing is it's own reward" is right, but also takes TIME. Some people don't have TIME to contribute, but still want to be involved with the friends they made. Chatbox is not a "participation trophy", it allows people to chat with one another.

How are they being shut out? They can still post on forums, still join servers, still get on TS, and Discord. If by that logic then registered users should be able to do the same thing.

Neither of y'all have given any legit response as to why retired can't be at the same base as registered user. Fine have your silly lighter shade of green but still same perms as registered user.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:56 pm 
EgN Member
Legend
Cooper wrote:
They aren't in the community and have power which outside of their rank is exclusive to community members. In the grand scheme of things they are no different than a registered user (aside from the fact they left) yet they have special privileges. They shouldn't get special treatment because they were in the community at one point or another, and if they care so much about these privileges then why wouldn't they rejoin as a member? Also, I don't think this is the right way to word what I assume you are actually trying to ask, "What is wrong with them having these powers?" seems to be more appropriate. I pose the same question to you, why do they NEED the power? And if it was so important to them and they cared so much about the community why wouldn't they be a member to have it?

Like I've said before, they aren't a part of the community, but they have made friends and connections within the community that allowed them to be voted into the community. So you asked me the question why they NEED to have chatbox. Well, I suppose they don't. Neither do you. Neither do I, why don't we remove the chatbox for everyone who isn't staff plus? Hell, why don't we remove it all together, the staff plus don't need it either! The fact is we don't need to have chatbox period. This isn't "special treatment", it is only giving them an outlet to casually chat with other people.

I don't understand how the ability to access a casual chat and the ability to post on LOA's is even "power" in the first place. Which brings back my original question; If these are the only difference between them and registered users, and they have put in considerably more effort than a registered user, why do we NEED to take that away from retired?
Cooper wrote:
Why do they NEED to be able to use the chat? Especially if it's used as a medium to say "Back in my day things were so much better" or to stir up shit from the outside (which members do as well, just not from the "Haha I'm not in the community so I'm gonna talk shit" perspective). When they chose to leave they willingly accepted that they wouldn't be in the community anymore and that they would lose the privileges that came with that, they aren't actually that much different than a registered user in terms of community. What makes them obliged to these permissions when they made the decision to leave and step down to the same level as a "random ass person who wanders into EgN and makes an account for shits and giggles"?

I don't understand why they can't be dealt with indivudually. Why does this mean that the Retired rank HAS to be removed? If they are talking shit and stiring shit up, fucking moderate them. They shouldn't be given a special pass because they are retired, so why are you acting like they are?

Cooper wrote:
I never said remove the rank so I'll leave this to other people to answer. However, I think most people that have a problem with the rank would be happy if they were the same as "registered user" just with their own seperate user group.

I again legit don't understand what the point of removing retired is going to accomplish outside of shutting people out.

Cooper wrote:
Well I feel like this is a loaded question since obviously I'm not supposed to name people or quote specific instances but I think Goldgames's thread (even though like I said some members were participating as well) and just in the shoutbox, in general, it's not uncommon either. This is also subjective, just because YOU don't feel like people are toxic doesn't mean others feel the same way. How I see it, if enough people in the community feel that the general attitude and behavior of people in the retired "rank" is toxic, they should have some say in how the "rank" functions.

I don't feel like its a loaded question. I don't mind pointing out when Sarge is being toxic so if people are being toxic point it out. I'm not saying I don't feel like people are being toxic, I'm saying I don't see it.

Cooper wrote:
Well like I said people specifically have a problem with how people in the retired "rank" are acting and think they don't need to have certain privileges. It's also hard to handle toxicity with specific people if they play close enough to the rules to avoid getting in trouble, I think Staff+ also give too many warnings at times on threads, I haven't counted but on Goldgames's thread alone I think there were 3 or more warnings consecutively with no action being taken. They also aren't held to the same standard as members because they technically aren't in the community and don't have as much responsibility. I also think one thing worth taking into account is not everyone retires with "good will" exactly. A fair amount of people who retire leave in malice and it's also important to remember the rank currently includes people once banned or expelled from the community. But long story short it's pretty easy to not get in trouble if you know your way around the rules here, even easier if you are retired and know what you are doing.

Once again, I don't understand how removing retired will accomplish this problem. If people are being toxic, stiring shit up, or starting problems moderate them. I agree people who are banned from the clan shouldn't get retired.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:01 pm 
EgN Member
Legend
AJtheGreyBeard025 wrote:
J-Dawg wrote:
AJtheGreyBeard025 wrote:
J-Dawg wrote:
AJtheGreyBeard025 wrote:

How are they being shut out? They can still post on forums, still join servers, still get on TS, and Discord. If by that logic then registered users should be able to do the same thing.

Neither of y'all have given any legit response as to why retired can't be at the same base as registered user. Fine have your silly lighter shade of green but still same perms as registered user.

You ignore the fact that they've been through the recruitment process, that they've made friends and connections within the community, that they've made the obligations. That alone is good reason to allow them to have chatbox.
They are being shut out because you are denying them one of the things that allows them to participate in the community that they've participated in. They are being shut out because it essentially tells them "Oh you made friends, connections, and participated in the community? We don't care you no better than a random asshole who made an account on his spare time?" I legit don't understand what removing retired with acomplish. They legit don't have anymore "power" than a registered user, just access to more social outlets within the community.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:28 pm 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:72199061
Quote:
Like I've said before, they aren't a part of the community, but they have made friends and connections within the community that allowed them to be voted into the community. So you asked me the question why they NEED to have chatbox. Well, I suppose they don't. Neither do you. Neither do I, why don't we remove the chatbox for everyone who isn't staff plus? Hell, why don't we remove it all together, the staff plus don't need it either! The fact is we don't need to have chatbox period. This isn't "special treatment", it is only giving them an outlet to casually chat with other people.

I don't understand how the ability to access a casual chat and the ability to post on LOA's is even "power" in the first place. Which brings back my original question; If these are the only difference between them and registered users, and they have put in considerably more effort than a registered user, why do we NEED to take that away from retired?

Getting the retired rank doesn’t take much effort, hypothetically you could get it 12 days (?) if you really wanted to. Some people did put effort into the community, but being retired does not directly correlate with effort. I could also name a lot of people at the registered user rank that have put just as much effort in one way or another. If people who are actually in the community feel that these privellages are being misused or aren’t necessary, then it should definitely be taken into consideration.

Quote:
I don't understand why they can't be dealt with indivudually. Why does this mean that the Retired rank HAS to be removed? If they are talking shit and stiring shit up, fucking moderate them. They shouldn't be given a special pass because they are retired, so why are you acting like they are?
How do you suggest we moderate a general attitude? Do we ban them if they make a “Back in my day when the clan was actually good” post in the shoutbox? Do we ban them for saying negative things about the community and talking down on it even if it isn’t necessarily against the rules? People aren’t just upset because they can type in a special box or respond to a certain thread, they are mad that they have pretty much the same type of permissions as a member except with less responsibility and generally with a certain type of attitude most people aren’t happy with.

Quote:
I don't feel like its a loaded question. I don't mind pointing out when Sarge is being toxic so if people are being toxic point it out. I'm not saying I don't feel like people are being toxic, I'm saying I don't see it.
To give an example, Spazzo a while back in the shoutbox said something along the lines of “Why am I still a member in this shit clan?” He was supposed to be retired but he was still member from the backup. This is the attitude I’m talking about, people who used to be in the community coming in to spread negativity and toxicity without adding anything to the conversation. Do we just ban him for saying the clan is shit? He could have just asked to be set to retired but he had to make aggressive comment instead. This “the clan was so much better back in my day” attitude is annoying and when it’s expressed in ways like this it’s pretty toxic to most people.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:43 pm 
EgN Member
Legend
Cooper wrote:
Getting the retired rank doesn’t take much effort, hypothetically you could get it 12 days (?) if you really wanted to. Some people did put effort into the community, but being retired does not directly correlate with effort. I could also name a lot of people at the registered user rank that have put just as much effort in one way or another. If people who are actually in the community feel that these privellages are being misused or aren’t necessary, then it should definitely be taken into consideration.

If people are misusing their permissions it should be at the staff plus' discretion to moderate them appropriately. It does actually take effort to get into the clan believe it or not because you need to go through the recruitment process, but you are right in a way. There are people who are registered user who have put in effort, however that doesn't justify the removal of the retirement rank.
Cooper wrote:
How do you suggest we moderate a general attitude? Do we ban them if they make a “Back in my day when the clan was actually good” post in the shoutbox? Do we ban them for saying negative things about the community and talking down on it even if it isn’t necessarily against the rules? People aren’t just upset because they can type in a special box or respond to a certain thread, they are mad that they have pretty much the same type of permissions as a member except with less responsibility and generally with a certain type of attitude most people aren’t happy with.

Moderate them as anyone else. They are allowed to talk about the old days, just like anyone else is. They are allowed to speak negatively of the clan, just like anyone else is. They don't have the same permissions as a member, that is straight up wrong. And also, so what if people are mad? They can disagree with their musing of the "good ole days" or that they speak negatively of the clan, but it isn't against the rules. They have the same right to do the same. They have the same right to be mad. But making people mad isn't against the rules. If they're mad for that reason, that is no justification to remove the retired rank.

Cooper wrote:
To give an example, Spazzo a while back in the shoutbox said something along the lines of “Why am I still a member in this shit clan?” He was supposed to be retired but he was still member from the backup. This is the attitude I’m talking about, people who used to be in the community coming in to spread negativity and toxicity without adding anything to the conversation. Do we just ban him for saying the clan is shit? He could have just asked to be set to retired but he had to make aggressive comment instead. This “the clan was so much better back in my day” attitude is annoying and when it’s expressed in ways like this it’s pretty toxic to most people.

I'm pretty sure shitposting is against the rules, and it should be cracked down upon. This problem can be solved by proper moderation. Removing the retired rank doesn't do anything to solve this and only punishes those who are actually participating in a non-negative, non-toxic way

New Topic Post Reply  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 >> Next