Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:03 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:36657842
Doldol wrote:
Synthic wrote:
Uchies wrote:
Synthic wrote:
Doldol, please quote this and explain to me what you think the purpose of the Second Amendment is.

this isnt even relevant

Sure it is, the original thread derailed with him making an anti-gun joke.

To be removed from the constitution, there is no place for it in a civilized country.

Let me ask you a question before I make my argument, do you think a country should have the right to freedom of expression and speech? Do you think someone should be allowed to live independently from the state and make their own choices?
ImageImageImageImageImage

Social 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:07 pm 
Community Leader
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:84775876
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
Synthic wrote:
Doldol wrote:
Synthic wrote:
Uchies wrote:
Synthic wrote:
Doldol, please quote this and explain to me what you think the purpose of the Second Amendment is.

this isnt even relevant

To be removed from the constitution, there is no place for it in a civilized country.

Let me ask you a question before I make my argument, do you think a country should have the right to freedom of expression and speech? Do you think someone should be allowed to live independently from the state and make their own choices?

To a certain degree yes. You obviously shouldn't be able to defame people, kill people, etc.
Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.
I really like meowers but can't own any for the time being. Image

Software Developer with a fondness for Python & UE4.
🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:10 pm 
EgN Member
Doldol wrote:
Synthic wrote:
Doldol wrote:
Synthic wrote:
Uchies wrote:
Synthic wrote:

this isnt even relevant

To a certain degree yes. You obviously shouldn't be able to defame people, kill people, etc.

Ok, so you agree that freedom of speech is vital, but there should obviously be restrictions when dealing with crimes that result in a victim. Now let's suppose your idea is enacted in the U.S., where the 2A is "removed." This would obviously imply that private ownership of a gun is no longer legal. There are currently an estimated 320 million privately owned guns in the U.S. How do you plan on removing all of those guns from the hands of the citizens if you abolish the 2A?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:14 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21855300
Why did you delete your post Doldol? Didn't you even see what I wrote?

Uchies wrote:
That’s fine. However, I invite thought-provoking discussions that challenge held-beliefs instead of shutting them down.

Your point on arguing is how modern civilization is constructed is the exact reason I said this. But all I can see in this thread are personal attacks and nothing positive being provided, unless you consider making the forum look bad to new members "positive".

If you want to actually learn about my political beliefs and have a conversation you could always PM me.
Snapchat: Rozavelt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:23 pm 
Community Leader
Legend
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
Synthic wrote:
Doldol wrote:
Synthic wrote:
Doldol wrote:
Synthic wrote:
Uchies wrote:
Synthic wrote:

this isnt even relevant

Ok, so you agree that freedom of speech is vital, but there should obviously be restrictions when dealing with crimes that result in a victim. Now let's suppose your idea is enacted in the U.S., where the 2A is "removed." This would obviously imply that private ownership of a gun is no longer legal. There are currently an estimated 320 million privately owned guns in the U.S. How do you plan on removing all of those guns from the hands of the citizens if you abolish the 2A?

Changing a constitution is hard, changing the way people think is to. It's an ideal to just not have the "2A" (I'll use that from now on, it's easier)

I know you can't just remove 2A, but that imo should be the end goal.

How I would start is with the police force, It appears the US public doesn't trust and/or see the police force as their guardians, and apparently the police only have no preventory duties (I have seen this stated/explained multiple times, but I'm not sure this is true), regardless the police has to better protect it's citizens and citizens need to believe that is the case, they need to see police as protectors. Before we can progress. (This needs to be handled from a lot of angles, like better oversight, better training, more accountability, media campaigns, etc.)

Then you need to criminalize gun ownership step by step more background checks/requirements then ban specific guns 1st assault rifles, then idk smgs, then pistols (roughly). At every turn though you need to give the public several years where ownership is technically illegal but you don't actually punish except when it can serve as an example (like someone kills someone: charge with murder+gun ownership).

This is in very rough terms and you need to continually convince the public of it, also the NRA has to be criminalized or otherwise neutralized. I can still see exclusions for hunting and sports shooters, but it has to be strictly regulated in type of gun and qualifications for the individual. And keep it out of the constitution, you don't want it signaled as that important.
Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.

🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:36 pm 
Community Leader
Legend
Uchies wrote:
Why did you delete your post Doldol? Didn't you even see what I wrote?

Uchies wrote:
That’s fine. However, I invite thought-provoking discussions that challenge held-beliefs instead of shutting them down.

Your point on arguing is how modern civilization is constructed is the exact reason I said this. But all I can see in this thread are personal attacks and nothing positive being provided, unless you consider making the forum look bad to new members "positive".

If you want to actually learn about my political beliefs and have a conversation you could always PM me.

Uchies wrote:
Kharn wrote:
Neezon wrote:
Terrorism in Europe is not caused by Europeans, it is actually largely due to America.

Sorry if I seem confrontational about this. However, your reply (even if large parts of it were a joke), are really ignorrant and not based on facts.

Citation's requested, thanks!

+rep

I'm laughing my ass off... CITATIONS PLEASE, THANKS NEEZON.... hysterical nut.

You posted + never answered for it, I'm sure you're just trolling at this point (or so I would hope), this post on top together with all your other posts, made you look hypocritical and ignorant, I do not wish to talk to or hear what someone like you has to say, you've posted the most or close to it and managed to contribute nothing of value. All I wish for you is to leave this topic and to stay out of it. I don't say this to be mean, I just ask of you to let us have our conversation. I'm done talking to you and while I won't delete your posts as long as they're not unquestionably against the rules, I surely won't further reply to you.

🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:44 pm 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22218476
There are millions of citizens, myself included, that would fight to the death to keep what you are proposing about guns, and thus re-writing the constitution, from happening.

Land of the free, not land of the dependent.

Last edited by koolaid on Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:46 pm 
EgN Member
Doldol wrote:
Synthic wrote:
Doldol wrote:
Synthic wrote:
Doldol wrote:
Synthic wrote:
Uchies wrote:
Synthic wrote:

this isnt even relevant

Changing a constitution is hard, changing the way people think is to. It's an ideal to just not have the "2A" (I'll use that from now on, it's easier)

I know you can't just remove 2A, but that imo should be the end goal.

How I would start is with the police force, It appears the US public doesn't trust and/or see the police force as their guardians, and apparently the police only have no preventory duties (I have seen this stated/explained multiple times, but I'm not sure this is true), regardless the police has to better protect it's citizens and citizens need to believe that is the case, they need to see police as protectors. Before we can progress. (This needs to be handled from a lot of angles, like better oversight, better training, more accountability, media campaigns, etc.)

Then you need to criminalize gun ownership step by step more background checks/requirements then ban specific guns 1st assault rifles, then idk smgs, then pistols (roughly). At every turn though you need to give the public several years where ownership is technically illegal but you don't actually punish except when it can serve as an example (like someone kills someone: charge with murder+gun ownership).

This is in very rough terms and you need to continually convince the public of it, also the NRA has to be criminalized or otherwise neutralized. I can still see exclusions for hunting and sports shooters, but it has to be strictly regulated in type of gun and qualifications for the individual. And keep it out of the constitution, you don't want it signaled as that important.

1. You say that police need to better protect citizens. What would a police officer use to protect me? A gun.

2. You completely ignored my question. How would the government revoke rights to all private gun ownership? That would obviously involve guns being confiscated. Please explain to me how you disarm >100 million Americans of ~320 million guns without complete civil war.

3. You seem to believe that the amount of guns owned by the public positively correlate with crime. However:

http://www.aei.org/publication/chart-of ... -and-2013/

Other statistics on why mass shootings are not "common, everyday things" as many Europeans like to believe for some reason:

70% of mass murders are committed in private homes, while 13% are committed in gun-free zones (e.g. schools) with no conceal carry allowed. Merely 17% were done in public places where concealed carry is allowed. Keep in mind the definition of "mass murder" is one or more person killing "several" people, its so vague.
http://www.politifact.com/florida/state ... ree-zones/

There have been 156 mass shootings, 1187 people killed or injured, 25% of those fatalities were children. So were looking at a small fraction of fatalities due to guns happening in schools. School shootings are being blown way out of proportion.
https://everytownresearch.org/reports/m ... -analysis/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:48 pm 
Community Leader
Legend
koolaid wrote:
There are millions of citizens, myself included, that would fight to the death to keep what you are proposing about guns from happening.

1. That is your personal opinion, you have no evidence for it and you are not replying to my points in an attempt to counter me. (Which you should do if you think I'm incorrect)
    2. Would you actually? And to what point? Would you die to prevent an assault rifle ban, pistol ban, sniper ban, etc?

Do you have a logical, sensical reason for it other than your personal feelings? If not, then imo you're just throwing your life away.

🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:57 pm 
Community Leader
Legend
Synthic wrote:

1. You say that police need to better protect citizens. What would a police officer use to protect me? A gun.

2. You completely ignored my question. How would the government revoke rights to all private gun ownership? That would obviously involve guns being confiscated. Please explain to me how you disarm >100 million Americans of ~320 million guns without complete civil war.

3. You seem to believe that the amount of guns owned by the public positively correlate with crime. However:

http://www.aei.org/publication/chart-of ... -and-2013/

Other statistics on why mass shootings are not "common, everyday things" as many Europeans like to believe for some reason:

70% of mass murders are committed in private homes, while 13% are committed in gun-free zones (e.g. schools) with no conceal carry allowed. Merely 17% were done in public places where concealed carry is allowed. Keep in mind the definition of "mass murder" is one or more person killing "several" people, its so vague.
http://www.politifact.com/florida/state ... ree-zones/

There have been 156 mass shootings, 1187 people killed or injured, 25% of those fatalities were children. So were looking at a small fraction of fatalities due to guns happening in schools. School shootings are being blown way out of proportion.
https://everytownresearch.org/reports/m ... -analysis/

1. Yes, police need guns, good guns, includes fully automatic assault rifles for specific units. They don't get to take them home + everything I mentioned before about police.

2. I didn't ignore it (see the steps I laid out). You need to ease and convince people into handing over their guns, that starts with killing the NRA + gun culture. You need to look at all the options Syntic, you're limiting yourself to the only solution being the government barging into people's home and demanding their guns, there are many other, better ways, like what I illustrated.

3. You're being disingenuous or ill-informed. Crime obv doesn't relate to gun ownership, gun related crime does however, I linked a nice article + chart somewhere else recently, look through my prev posts, if you can't find it I'll link it again.

One school shooting is frankly one too many, since societally children, esp. in supposedly protective places like schools are held is extremely high regard.

Edit: post I was referring to: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29272#p287752

🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage

New Topic Post Reply  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 >> Next