Previous << 
1, 2
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Trolllsss
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:00 am 
Community Leader
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:84775876
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
Kharn wrote:
Doldol wrote:
Savage wrote:
We've had a few that couldn't be banned by Steam ID, therefore, that wouldn't work.

Everyone that connects to a legit CSS server has a Steam ID

Having actually seen this myself I can tell you that its not that simple, its not like were forgetting basic admin tech. Also Savage said he sent you a Addon that blocks name changes from occuring more than once per minute, I'd love to see that added. This glitch/script/wtfever is annoying as hell to get because even using HLSW to view this shows that even the Steam-ID and User-ID is getting flipped around.

Annoying bit of trickery this is...

Savage wrote:
Well, I'm kinda afraid that the plugin won't be able to ban them because of the changing Steam ID's.

NastyStevie wrote:
Lets just hope savage eh? luck might be on our side!

Sorry but a user's Steam ID never changes, it is just totally impossible, not when they're on the server, not when their account is offline, and not when they're just logged into Steam it ever changes.

As for User IDs:
Every time a client connect they get assigned an User ID starting from 2 and counting 1 upwards for every client that connects, a client keeps their Steam ID for as long as they are connected, if the client reconnects to the server he gets assigned a new user ID following previously stated rules. This, aling with the fact that it is always a small number makes it the ideal thing for mods to track a player, so everything ranging from Eventscripts, to Mani and Sourcemod use it.

There is no way either one of them changes for a user while connected to the server, it is impossible.

The User ID is so inherent to the Source Engine, that you couldn't use a hack to change it, because the engine uses it for itself to keep track of a player. if you'd find a way to change (something I'd call impossible too) your userid in mid-session the engine wouldn't know about it since it only cares about assigning user IDs to Steam IDs when a client connects, so the player would essentially be kicked, or the server would crash.

As for the Steam ID, The server never locally remembers the Steam ID, as it almost never needs it. It only needs it a few times, (when a), instead every server keeps a connection open to the Master Game Server. Which it essentially queries for the Steam ID. (in fact it's way more complicated because the client is also involved in this connection, but the point is; it's very secure).
To fool a server into thinking you have a different Steam ID and getting it validated. You would have to be packet sniff the connection and intercept it. Something very complicated, and at the cost of sounding melodramatic something only a serious hacker could do. Hypothetically. Still then you would essentially have to act as the Master Game Server, making the server impossible to connect to for people that are using the normal Master Game Server.

So to summarize:
Changing your Steam ID and User ID while you are connected is impossible in normal circumstances.

Now I'll put that anti name changing mod on, but the most it could do is remember the old name and keep that. It's impossible to prevent the actual name change.
Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.
I really like meowers but can't own any for the time being. Image

Software Developer with a fondness for Python & UE4.
🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

Social 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:27 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:12238457
^ That. You can't change your Steam ID. Plus the guys with name change hacks always have a % at the end of their name, open up the admin menu and you can find them easily.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:12 am 
EgN Member
Let me re-word what I said. I don't remember a single person changing their Steam ID before switching accounts, but as Kharn stated, it's not like we're forgetting our basic admin tech. /ban (steamid) 0 hacking, sm_ban (steamid) 0 hacking, all of that and every time, it would spit out "[SM] No matching client was found."

Kharn claimed to sit in HLSW and watch their Steam ID's change. But, if I can sit in the server and get an error when I try to ban them, I think something is up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:10 am 
Community Leader
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:84775876
Location: l: 179° 56′ 39.4″, b: +0° 2′ 46.2″, d: 7,940 ± 420 parsecs, from Via Lactea galactic center.
Savage wrote:
Let me re-word what I said. I don't remember a single person changing their Steam ID before switching accounts, but as Kharn stated, it's not like we're forgetting our basic admin tech. /ban (steamid) 0 hacking, sm_ban (steamid) 0 hacking, all of that and every time, it would spit out "[SM] No matching client was found."

Kharn claimed to sit in HLSW and watch their Steam ID's change. But, if I can sit in the server and get an error when I try to ban them, I think something is up.

Like I said in Steam =]

Prefix the Steam ID with #
And convert : to _
In console and chat.
Been there, done that. No regrets, never give up on what's important. Prioritize. Happiness is all that matters.
I really like meowers but can't own any for the time being. Image

Software Developer with a fondness for Python & UE4.
🐱‍👤

ImageImageImage
Interested in Star Citizen? - Use STAR-PZ6J-4C62 and get us both some cool extras :3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:28 pm 
EgN Member
Ok wow savage just after you had left RB I told you about this method :P I guess you put it to good use! (yes the number one, originally it was going into the admin menu slapping ppl till you find what number they are, then muting them to be sure of the number, then banning, so I guess savage modded my version a bit)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:48 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:25557766
You thought of it, but people were using it before you XD
Anime Fan
Latest Youtube Video <- Watch this by linking the links -> Latest Twitch LiveStream Video

All Interactable links, click on them to go to my pages to either watch, follow or subscribe.
ImageImageImageImage

Images by friends

Spoiler: Show

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:56 am 
EgN Member
NastyStevie wrote:
You thought of it, but people were using it before you XD

Probably, but not in RB. In fact the only people I told about the method was savage ad you Stevie, which for you guys it was kinda unhelpful...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:24 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:25557766
Yup, i use a different way and savage probably does to XD
Anime Fan
Latest Youtube Video <- Watch this by linking the links -> Latest Twitch LiveStream Video

All Interactable links, click on them to go to my pages to either watch, follow or subscribe.
ImageImageImageImage

Images by friends

Spoiler: Show

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:26 pm 
EgN Member
NastyStevie wrote:
Yup, i use a different way and savage probably does to XD

Exactly, to me I think it's easier than finding a stea ID though.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2