>> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:31 pm 
Community Member
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:79036420
Caboose wrote:
mattlikespie wrote:
The rules are phrased and described as per heavy discussion at the admin meeting; they won't be changed. The only people enforcing these rules will all have been at a meeting and all have heard the explanation.

Ok but the randoms who are meant to be following these rules won't know what that's trying to say, since they weren't at the meeting to hear the explanation.

Staff+ will talk about it and we'll see what we'll do

Star Citizen Reference Code: STAR-GK4C-BYF5

Social 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:17 am 
EgN Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:2416971
Birthstone wrote:
Xanderian wrote:
Some of these are very weirdly phrased.

"CT's may kill T's as rebels, any prisoner that is trying to access a secret. (CT rule)" What does that mean? Does that mean that rebels are now defined as being people trying to access secrets? What about people running away? Otherwise, why is it phrased in a way that looks like it's defining what a rebel is? It should be changed unless you want to confuse people.

"Do not ban people for freekilling, CT ban them. (Excluding MFKs. MFKs always result in a perm CT ban)" Why do you have this said, but then right at the bottom that malicious MFK's are permanent server bans? For one, you don't even need admin rules to be on the !rules, because people don't really need to know how the admins do their jobs, just that they do their jobs. But, if you are going to have them on !rules, make sure they're correct lol.

I like these new rules, though. I feel like they will make the game less about being a nazi and getting easy kills as a CT from dumb or confusing orders. The inclusion of a "No pardons" rule is very nice, imo. It was agitating seeing a rebel who killed a bunch of CT's get pardoned just because the warden didn't want to fight them. It was especially annoying when there was only one non-rebelling T left, who won whatever the last game was, and then a rebel got pardoned. So it's nice to see this rule included.

"A Terrorist can only be forced to face a certain direction while using AFK freeze, no longer than one minute, and no more than once per round." I thought this was always there, but apparently it was differently worded. What I don't understand is, why do you have this under "New Rules" and the "Terrorists cannot be forced to face a certain direction for longer than one minute" under removed rules? Isn't that a revised rule? So why is it not properly listed as such?

Well, once these go into effect, I'll have to get on and check it out. I've got a feeling it'll help make for less shitty CT's.

For the secrets rule, I interpret it as "any T trying to access a secret may be considered rebels"..

Just to say it; Kharn made a pretty clear point about this "interpretation" stuff...

These rules need to be crystal clear for all admins regardless of how you "interpret" because it can lead to some admins enforcing and choosing how they "feel" the rule is meant to be read as. Standardization and communication is key.
My suggestion to anyone with interpretations, make sure to attend ONE of the follow-up meetings so you don't have to "interpret" or guess what someone is trying to get across with these rules

Interpreting and assuming are a slippery slope.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:27 am 
EgN Member
Elder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:23228291
SpazzO wrote:
Birthstone wrote:
Xanderian wrote:
Some of these are very weirdly phrased.

"CT's may kill T's as rebels, any prisoner that is trying to access a secret. (CT rule)" What does that mean? Does that mean that rebels are now defined as being people trying to access secrets? What about people running away? Otherwise, why is it phrased in a way that looks like it's defining what a rebel is? It should be changed unless you want to confuse people.

"Do not ban people for freekilling, CT ban them. (Excluding MFKs. MFKs always result in a perm CT ban)" Why do you have this said, but then right at the bottom that malicious MFK's are permanent server bans? For one, you don't even need admin rules to be on the !rules, because people don't really need to know how the admins do their jobs, just that they do their jobs. But, if you are going to have them on !rules, make sure they're correct lol.

I like these new rules, though. I feel like they will make the game less about being a nazi and getting easy kills as a CT from dumb or confusing orders. The inclusion of a "No pardons" rule is very nice, imo. It was agitating seeing a rebel who killed a bunch of CT's get pardoned just because the warden didn't want to fight them. It was especially annoying when there was only one non-rebelling T left, who won whatever the last game was, and then a rebel got pardoned. So it's nice to see this rule included.

"A Terrorist can only be forced to face a certain direction while using AFK freeze, no longer than one minute, and no more than once per round." I thought this was always there, but apparently it was differently worded. What I don't understand is, why do you have this under "New Rules" and the "Terrorists cannot be forced to face a certain direction for longer than one minute" under removed rules? Isn't that a revised rule? So why is it not properly listed as such?

Well, once these go into effect, I'll have to get on and check it out. I've got a feeling it'll help make for less shitty CT's.

For the secrets rule, I interpret it as "any T trying to access a secret may be considered rebels"..

Just to say it; Kharn made a pretty clear point about this "interpretation" stuff...

These rules need to be crystal clear for all admins regardless of how you "interpret" because it can lead to some admins enforcing and choosing how they "feel" the rule is meant to be read as. Standardization and communication is key.
My suggestion to anyone with interpretations, make sure to attend ONE of the follow-up meetings so you don't have to "interpret" or guess what someone is trying to get across with these rules

Interpreting and assuming are a slippery slope.

The issue is that some rules are specifically designed to be vague and allow for admin interpretation based on the situation, whereas others are meant to be black and white. When we get rules that are poorly worded, and players are expected to understand from the moment they accept the rules on login, they NEED to be crystal clear if they pertain to them.

Rules like "don't be an asshole" are completely okay to be vague, because that can be moderated, but when even members of the community who are familiar with the rules can't explain why the wording is the way it is, it's definitely worth re-writing. Xanderian has quite a few good points, and while I like that we're going for something more descriptive, maybe it's best that we trim the rules down to their core meaning, and make them as simple as possible.

A quick example would be "CT's may kill T's as rebels, any prisoner that is trying to access a secret" could be broken down to

CT's may kill any rebels.
Prisoners are considered rebels if they are not following CT orders, or are attempting to access a secret.

This would allow us to further alter the rules at a base level also, without trying to figure out how we're going to keep the other wonky shit in the sentence valid. I'm aware that i'm not a huge part (if any part) of the community anymore, but from strictly a management perspective, rules that are stated that have a large impact on all players should definitely be able to be read and understood at around a first to fourth grade level, and not include complex compounded sentences that could be interpreted incorrectly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:34 am 
EgN Member
Elder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:34125752
Caboose wrote:
mattlikespie wrote:
The rules are phrased and described as per heavy discussion at the admin meeting; they won't be changed. The only people enforcing these rules will all have been at a meeting and all have heard the explanation.

Ok but the randoms who are meant to be following these rules won't know what that's trying to say, since they weren't at the meeting to hear the explanation.
Exactly. Regardless of what you say in the admin meetings about what a rule means, if a randomer doesn't understand it right from reading it, they're not going to know whatever interpretation was decided upon. They'll listen to whatever they think it means, or ignore it and move on. Then what good comes out of the rule? If you want the rules to be followed, then they must be clearly written and understood.

As I said, I don't mean to sound like a smart ass, but I'm just like a new randomer. I've been gone for a lot of these rules changes, so when I come onto the server again after these rules go into effect, I don't want to get punished because blah admin was told that a rule meant this, when it looks like it means something else.
Beep boop.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:43 am 
Staff
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:177980773
Xanderian wrote:
Caboose wrote:
mattlikespie wrote:

Exactly. Regardless of what you say in the admin meetings about what a rule means, if a randomer doesn't understand it right from reading it, they're not going to know whatever interpretation was decided upon. They'll listen to whatever they think it means, or ignore it and move on. Then what good comes out of the rule? If you want the rules to be followed, then they must be clearly written and understood.

As I said, I don't mean to sound like a smart ass, but I'm just like a new randomer. I've been gone for a lot of these rules changes, so when I come onto the server again after these rules go into effect, I don't want to get punished because blah admin was told that a rule meant this, when it looks like it means something else.

It’s an admins duty to explain the rules, and the highest ranking admins say about this rule is final. If you still struggle to understand, make a forum post in regards to that rule. It’s pretty simple

*DEAD* EgN|s BEST ADMIN TITTYSPRINKLES: i thought today was rulebreaking day my bad :-(
*DEAD* EgN| Terminator #Fishy Guy: yup, ma dick to long :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:57 am 
EgN Member
Elder
Central wrote:
Xanderian wrote:
Caboose wrote:
mattlikespie wrote:

It’s an admins duty to explain the rules, and the highest ranking admins say about this rule is final. If you still struggle to understand, make a forum post in regards to that rule. It’s pretty simple

I don't think you actually see the issue here? This is him making a forum post stating that he has an issue with the wording, and is worried that it's too complicated for a random to understand. It's an admins job to explain a rule, sure, but it's our job as a community to siphon through these rules and make sure that an admin doesn't spend his entire time in the server explaining rules because they're complicated. This is us voicing our opinion that the rules could be written better, which isn't selfish, but rather an opinion to better the community.

EDIT: And
Quote:
the highest ranking admins say about this rule is final
Couldn't be more wrong in this circumstance. The goal is to make sure the admins don't have to explain the rules, so there's not any differentiation and we don't have to have a highest ranking admin come in and make a decision. The goal is to make the rule so easy to understand that we don't have to worry about who is highest ranking.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:25 pm 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:29867757
Siberiac wrote:
The goal is to make the rule so easy to understand that we don't have to worry about who is highest ranking.

And yet !rules remains virtually the same after every admin meeting, and the confusion on the server doesn't change.
"all tees all tees" -everyone

SYSTEMS FUNCTIONAL. NAVCOM LOCKED. ANIME SPOTTED. GOLIATH ONLINE.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:27 pm 
EgN Member
Elder
Birthstone wrote:
Siberiac wrote:
The goal is to make the rule so easy to understand that we don't have to worry about who is highest ranking.

And yet !rules remains virtually the same after every admin meeting, and the confusion on the server doesn't change.

Which would imply they're making them more complicated (or not updating them at all, i can't tell from your statement), which is why these comments are all the more relevant.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:26 pm 
EgN Member
Veteran
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:29867757
Siberiac wrote:
Birthstone wrote:
Siberiac wrote:

Which would imply they're making them more complicated (or not updating them at all, i can't tell from your statement), which is why these comments are all the more relevant.

It's a combination of both. Some rules aren't clarified that need to be. New rules are clarified poorly with wording that is far from stringent. And !rules itself rarely contains the exact wording of the FAQ posts on the forums.
"all tees all tees" -everyone

SYSTEMS FUNCTIONAL. NAVCOM LOCKED. ANIME SPOTTED. GOLIATH ONLINE.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:27 am 
Staff
Legend
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:177980773
I saw the recent complaints in regards to several members targeting each other and Birthstone said: “Dead shouldn’t talk” - Kharn or Matt said it’s perfectly alright for the dead to talk, but if they’re talking over the warden, then mute that individual person or if they need muted, but never to mute the full dead for 1 person that’s dead talking. Fair enough if the whole dead team are disrupting, then it’s reasonable to mute the dead, but otherwise mute the individuals.

*DEAD* EgN|s BEST ADMIN TITTYSPRINKLES: i thought today was rulebreaking day my bad :-(
*DEAD* EgN| Terminator #Fishy Guy: yup, ma dick to long :)

New Topic Locked  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 >> Next